Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about purchasing a coolant temperature gauge for 2002 Pantera.  Would it be of much benefit?  Thinking it would give you a good indication when the sled is warmed up plus more accurate indication of when overheating is about to occur (as opposed to a light)  What about exhaust temperature gauges?

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I just added a temp gauge to my mxz. I love the ability to have a rough idea of how the engine is running, especially on warm days or in marginal snow conditions. I like the sense of security I get from seeing that everything is working normally.
     Some guys will tell you those gauges are useless and what not, but however they are calibrated, they still give you an idea of the temperature fluctuations of the coolant. At least they are consistent.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
How much difference is there in price between a coolant temerature gauge and a Ex.aust Gas Temerature Gauge?  If there isn't much I would definetly go for the EGT.  I'm planning on adding a analog EGT next year hate the fact of not knowing.   I think either one would be helpful though

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
EGT is required if you are doing any tuning. But if you are leaving the sled stock, then a temp guage is the way to go. Alot cheaper than full blown EGT gauges and probes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Temp guages are very useful when riding in any conditions. EGTs are almost a must if doing any tweaking or upgrading to your machine. Your machine is EFI is it not. If thats the case there isnot much need for EGTs unless you are modding the engine or changing the computer programing. Another thing to consider is that some EGT packs can be purchased which moniter coolant temp, engine rpm, lapsed time and a whole host of other features. I beleive a coolant temp guage should be standard on all liquid cooled machines.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you always ride in powder a temp gauge may not be necessary. However, if you ride trails, a lot of bare ground, or hard drifted snow the gauge is, IMO, a virtual necessity. It is a lot easier to cool an engine when it is getting warm rather than wait until it is too hot where any extra work on the part of the engine, such as  driving into good cooling but heavy working snow, may cause an overheat condition before cooling can take place. A gauge is much  better than an "idiot light" and is as necessary as the gas gauge AKA: odometer, and tach, maybe more so.

I also wish snowmobiles would come with built in hourmeters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts