Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone know a way to test if the CDI unit is working ? I have very basic tools to service my sled and I hope this test does not require special equipment. thanks!

To start my Enticer 340 1980 is no longer a problem. Thanks for those who gave me the spec. and tips. But one thing that borders me and I do appreciate any input is:

1. when the engine is running on snow say 10-15 minutes contineously then I stop the sled and let it run on idling.
2. From time to time, I have to press the throttle a little bit of gas if I hear the engine is going to stop, (I did turn the idle screw dwon and the sled almost run away from me).
3. When the engine does stall, I have a hard time to restart again (over 20 pulls and the engine might start and die again, I check that there are sparks from both plugs).

I read a sled manual in trouble shooting section:"CDI system can be malfunction only when the engine is hot or under a load" It matched the symptom of my sled because when I restart the sled after half an hour or over night....the sled starts normal. Shouldn't an engine be earlier to start when hot/warm than COLD!!!

I also found out if I switch off the sled on high RPM (not letting it stall), then to restart the engine seems ok even within one minute or right away. So, would it be the carb/fuel system? because one gent mentioned if the float needle is worn that might affect idling!!

Might be it is my skill to adjust idling, I found the idling is difficult to master.

thanks in advance!!

Harry

·
Registered
347 Posts
i have a cdi unit for an enticer 340. but it may not be the problem. the problem you are occuring could very well be the crank seal going bad. when the seal warms up it lets air in. are you running lean on any cylinder?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a cdi unit for an enticer 340. but it may not be the problem. the problem you are occuring could very well be the crank seal going bad. when the seal warms up it lets air in. are you running lean on any cylinder?[/b]
Hi K,

"Lean on any cylinder"........how can i check this lean on cyclinder? is it to take the spark plug out and look at the condition?

To what I have notice was, one spark plug is wet and the other one is semi wet (slightly wet).

how many crank seals are in the engine? Is it a big job to fix/repalce?

Sorry for such questions but I am just a green horn in this........thanks a lot.

Harry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts