Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 73 Polaris Colt that I am having a hell of a time getting it to run right.
I have taken the carbs apart and gave them a good cleaning but the sled will only run on the clutch side.  When I check for spark I get what looks to be the same colour spark on both sides.  But when I switched the coils around it wouldn't even start.
Can some one give me a way to test the coils to see it this is that problem.
The engine is a twin 340.  I have also checked the compresion and its 130 on both sides.  I also changed my clutch side crank seal last year.
Thanks for the help.
Matt

Oh ya how do I post pictures on this site?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you cleaned and gapped your points.  If your spark is orange colored it mean it is weak.  It should be a bright blue spark.  If your coils are sparking I would check your points and also check all electrical connections.  Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to change the points and condensers when or if I can get my mag off in the next couple of days.  Atleast then I can rule out them as the problem.
Thanks for the help.
Matt

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just sneak into the batroom and pilfer one of your girls nail files. Reach in and clean up the points a bit. No need to pull the flywheel. Then roll it over and see if spark is better. You stated you can only get it to run on the clutch side. Maybe the mag side seal needs changing. Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts