Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, folks I am new to this board,but was hoping someone may feel inclined to pass along some advice.  I have a 2001 MXZ-800 with very little done to it so far.  It is studded, and jetted down two sizes and that's it right now.

I definetly want to add some, fun in the trails and the occasional lake run for bragging rights, goodies.  My research has led me towards either a HC clutch kit and/or RK Tek head and an exhaust restrictor.

One of my biggest concerns is being able to test any modifications before the snow flies. Not having a dyno sitting around and not wanted to spend all of my limited riding time wrenching instead of riding or worse yet pi%%ed off that I have made things worse than before I started.

Any insider tips on how to test ?

Thanks in advance

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
grass, 2 sleds

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Call the guys at RKT and when you buy your head, they build it to your specific motor. They will ask you to take some measurements and then will send you one that is machined exactly to what they think is best. Use there recomended jetting and you won't have to test. It will be very close.

Oh yea, do not run the restrictor with the head. THe restrictor will work OK in a quick drag race, but it will get the EGTs way up there on a long WFO run, leading to burn down.

Call Kelsey about the head and talk to him before you buy anything, he is a great help to guys looking for improvments.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
We do what doomman does.Have a few weekend grass drag
sessions in mid november on some cold mornings and you can
get most of the major wrenchin/tuning done.After that it's just
a little trailside tweakin here and there
But that is half the
fun of sleddin.Hopefully we get a little more consistent weather this year as last winter we hardly got the same temp
over two days.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You could aligne the clutches before the snow hits,snow lite makes a great and inexpensive tool.Also check if the track is not too tight,you know these things aren't like a woman tighter is not better!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses/suggestions.  I don't mind some 'trailside tweaking', in fact that is one of the things I enjoy about sledding.  My biggest fear is that I may do something that can't be easily tweaked at trailside and I will be loosing valuable snow time.  

The grass runs are a good idea, but how do you determine back shift and power out of turns ??

Things would be a lot easier if life would stop getting in the way of my fun.  

·
Registered
98 Posts
A Goodwin clutch kit might be less of a head ach than the H.C. GLH Racin on this forum as a H.Clicker set up you should check with him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts