Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone verify yet exactly how the Polaris Magic Red Button works? Here is my guess--the button activates a solenoid in the primary that keeps the weights locked in place while the engine is wound up (simultaneously controlling timing so the engine doesn't blow up). Release the button and the solenoid releases the weights, the primary snaps shut and grabs the belt and you take off like a rocket.
This would sound like some belt damage to me, but it wouldn't matter in snoX where you'd just change the belt before each heat.

·
Registered
84 Posts
MY 2 cents and w.a.g. (wild ### guess), its that it is fully electronic. Holding the button "stutters" the motor, only allowing the motor to rev to a certain RPM, just below engagement, even though the throttle is pinned. Once the button is released, whammo!! Full RPM and instant clutch engagement without any lag from holding it back with the brake.

Just a guess.

It would seem that mechanically activation would be too destructive on the components and add weight.

:blahblah:

·
Registered
660 Posts
guys, it not that complex.

The ONLY function of the button is the throw the maximum amount of heat into the pipe.

The button retards the timing to the point that the RPM can only achive about 4000 meanwhile the burn time of the fuel is so much ATDC that 70-80% of that combustion goes to heat the pipe.

Let off the button and timing returns to normal - you do same some "lag" because your throttle slides are already pulled up.

There is no magic, no moving parts, no "Nitrous"

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by madsledhead@Oct 29 2002, 12:18 PM

There is no magic,
Are you suggesting that little gold lines on silicon wafers isn't magic?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I forget where it was that I saw those pictures and the references to the now famous "red button", but in those pictures I saw lines running from the back side of the VES
valves to what appeared to be solonoids located just above the carbs. Any ideas there?

AL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts