Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Whew, that truly was a close one.

In the early morning hours of Feb 12, the server said its last goodbye for hosting this site. At approximately 2:00am EST on the 12th, the server crashed, and she crashed hard.

The server host was alerted, which they in turn were able to reboot the server after several hours of repair. The first thing they did after getting the server up and running was to PERMANENTLY disable our forum software.

No email, no phone call, nothing. It wasn't until around 7:00am on the 12th that we even realized the server was down and that the forum software was disabled.

After talking with them, they assured us that they would not EVER allow us to enable the software again. Their exact words to us were "you have got to be kidding, right."

Unfortunately, without the software running, we had no way of exporting the forum database, which means we would lose all of our post, polls, member data, everything...

Since we couldn't talk them in to enabling it just for 30 minutes or so, we had to figure a way of getting the database .tar'ed and exported. The only solution we could come up with was to actually install another board on the same server, and manually port the paths to the old database by hand. All this while trying not to throw up any hard server load which would cause them to put a stop to it.

8 hours into our recovery attempt, the last of the database had been exported and the old software was terminated. Our problem then was finding a server to move to until our dedicated server is prepared.

We contacted the OLD server host that we use to be on, asking for them to lend a hand. After much conversation, we were able to talk them into allowing us to restart the old software and import the newer database. But, it did come with some compromises.

Our database import was over 49 Megs. They asked us to trim that down and try to hit something reasonable around 10 Megs. In an effort to get the forums back up and running again, we began the tedious task of sifting through the database, deleting all posts and polls older than 30 days. This trimmed the post amounts by 20,000 and allowed us to hit their target of 10 Megs.

We then did a clean install of the forum software, uploaded the newer (trimmed) database and imported it. We then modified each and every file that we made custom mods to, uploaded them, then launched the software.

ERROR:

That's all we saw after that. It seems that the newer version  clean install of the forum software had a compatability issue with its previous version that prevented the importing of the database completely.

To make a long story short, it took many, many hours of tweaking and prodding to get the database to load. We finally had a successful import that the forum software liked.

Since we did a clean install of the software, there are a few things that still don't work. We are aware of items such as the calendar, etc., that have issues. We are working to correct those as soon as possible.

The new features, etc., that we have briefly mentioned in the past will NOT be made available for this software while it is on this server. We will wait until everything is moved to the dedicated server to save us some time and effort.

Speaking of the dedciated server, our last conversation with the NEW server host estimates that our dedicated line will be finished being built sometime today, at which time we will begin loading the server software we need for the site. We anticipate migration to the new dedicated server sometime next week.

Once again I would like to apologize to everyone for the inconvienence that was caused. We sincerely appreciate the patience and professionalism that each and every one of you have demonstrated. We received only helpful emails, none that were derrogatory.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
swwebmaster,
 wow sounds like getting water for the city out of an old hand pump.
 who helped you ?  you have your hands full and i don't need to know but it sounds like a good challenge. when you have time and want to i'd like to hear more.
 if you "need a whatever" don't hesitate.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I won't even pretend to understand all that, but it sounds like alot of work.

Just wanted to express my appreciation, after a day of withdrawl yesterday, I don't think I could go much longer without this forum.

FishHog

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Good job of getting the forum up and running again. I like probably so many others were lost without checking in and seeing what was happening in the snowmobile world. Glad to hear things are moving forward again. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
corey-you are an amazing individual.thanks for all the hard work!!!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
keep up the good work we need this site the others dont compare to the knowledge of this site.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
WOW.  look at all the effort and time corey pouts into this free site !!! how many of you hade there hart stop yesterday when they saw the forum was down ! How can we ever thank corey enough ?  Your the Man !

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Good job Corey. Let us know if there is ANYTHING that we can do for you.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanx for the hard work. We all appreciate your time and perseverence in keeping this site running. As with most, without this site I would be lost. I wouldn'tknow what to do with my computer

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Great job Corey! All the time you spend on repairing the forum probably sucks just as bad as me trying to stuff a new turbo diesel engine in a Ford van,not enough room.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
keep up the good stuff! This fourm kicks butt. Really grateful to have a great webmaster and moderators and a really great bunch of members!!!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Way to go Corey!  This is an EXTRAORDINARY site!  I also would be lost without it.  This is an excellent resource and is a great place to get some great knowledge!  Keep it up! Thanks!
Midnight screamer

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Nice work Corey! I was starting to get the shakes there before the board came back...bad scene.....

Anyway, its hard to show how much we appreciate your work while we are faceless users..but it is deeply appreciated none the less!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts