Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 We have some real nice snow in Michigan....Finally.....Too bad its March...But I went riding with two guys with 2002 Yamaha Vipers...both stock one has 144 studs....Well early in the ride we had to get the curiosity eliminated so we lined them up. My 97 670 MXZ smoked them. I got the hole shot and they never caught me. I let off when the speedo hit 90 mph and I had a 5-6 sled lenght on the one with studs.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Yes!
THE YELLOW ROCKET STRIKES AGAIN!
 I love it when they do that!

·
Registered
233 Posts
WHY WOULD THE VIPER HAVE "LONGER LEGS"? BECAUSE IT'S A TRIPLE? PLEASE EXPLAIN.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Longer legs just mean it will have a higher top end.

Triples like the Mach Z will not blast out of the hole like a twin 800 but will catch up to it very quick (very quick.) and then just pull away.  This is partly to do with the weight and the 3 pipes that the Mach Has and maybe becasue it wasnt clutched and geared by skidoo to have that kind of lanch.  But the main reason is that the stroke on the triple is much shorter then a twin.  This causes less torque then a twin but much more hp and higher revs.  

The viper how ever is also a triple but it has a single pipe.  That alone creates more torque but robs it of top end and hp.  

The viper might have eventually gone faster then the 670 but it would probably take a while to catch up.  So in any kind of drag race the 670 would probably win.

·
Registered
233 Posts
OK,LET'S SAY FOR EXAMPLE I HAVE A GOOD RUNNING TWIN PIPE 670. IT MAKES 140 H.P. AT 8500 R.P.M. LET'S SAY THE OTHER SLED IS A TRIPLE 700 TRIPLE PIPE. THEY BOTH MAKE 140 H.P. AT 8500 R.P.M. THE TRIPLE WOULD STILL WIN ON A LONG RUN? WOULDN'T IT COME DOWN TO POWER TO WEIGHT, CHASSIS FREE ROLL, AERODYNAMICS, ETC.?

·
Registered
692 Posts
i have a mach 1 700 clutched dynos and geared i take twins out of the hole! i have lost top end but thats ok500 to 1000 feet is all i like to do! plus in the trails its like a rocket!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would agree that the Viper would take me top end but they had to do a lot of catching up to do that. I rode my buddies Viper that wasn't studded and it isn't as torquey as my sled. I could tell just by riding it that I would beat it for a while. It handled fairly well. It feels small but light. I dont think it took the bumps like my 670 does but all in all its not that bad of a sled

·
Registered
259 Posts
You guys are getting way too carried away. A friend of mine has a 99 H.O. (which is a much faster sled than your 97 670) and I out ran him on my SRX which was recently beat in the low end and mid range by a Viper. Granted I caught him on the top end but he had me till then. One thing that you ski-doo guys don't understand is how vital set-up is. When I first bought my SRX I couldn't beat anything, including 600s and I own a 700. It was when I got beat by a Yamaha 600, that was when I knew something was up. So I started tinkering with my rear suspension in the quest for more hook up. That was when I found out why so many Yamahas aren't set up right...they are a pain in the &^%$ to adjust. After an entire season of tinkering I finally got what I was looking for, since then I have not been beat by another 700 and have even in some cases beat 800s. Its all about set up.
    As far as the numbers you are talking...I have an issue of Sno-Tech that has the 2000 MXZ 700 at 121 horses. This is not only the number they got but it also states that this is within the average numbers that these machines produce. It then goes on to say that the 2000 MXZ is only slightly FASTER than the H.O. There is no way a 97 670 is at 140.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
SRX..a twin piped 670 can easily make 140HP...

·
Registered
233 Posts
FIRST OFF I WILL SAY THIS. IF I WAS ON THE MARKET FOR A THREE HOLER,I WOULD BUY A 700 SRX. NO QUESTION. BUT, I HAVE BEATEN SO MANY SRX'S WITH MY TWIN PIPED 670 I HAVE NO REASON TO BUY A THREE HOLER. IT'S ALL IN THE SET-UP. IF YOU SPEND THE TIME TESTING YOU WILL REAP THE BENEFITS. A 670 CAN'T MAKE 140 H.P.? I'VE SEEN DYNO NUMBERS AS GOOD AS 158 H.P. GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE SAND.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The 670 H.O. makes around 129 hp stock so with twins it could make 14 horse. So take that.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hey guys,  Sounds like there is only one way to resolve this!

This Saturday, March 9th,  Mancelona potato fields!  You pick the meeting spot and my HO (undefeated by any viper) will be there !!!  

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I thought that SRX's had good factory settings?? all I know that at the end of the field they are chokin on my ZR800 snow dust...been there done that......go 670

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rich Daily from Dynoport has a set up that can get 142 hp out of the 97 670 without twin pipes. I knoiw that there are fast Yamaha's out there...I will not deny that.....But I've never ran accross one yet. Two years ago at a "Poker Run" in Michigan. There were about 17 of us in the group. Three brand new 2000 SRX's....One was the SXR. Two were studded one was clutched, Studded, and Piped...Neither even touch the 670. I got the hole shot every time and kept going. My buddy who us eto ride a 95 650 piped Polaris rode my 670 against the Yamaha's (the only ones in the group that culd even try to run with my 670) and my buddy weighs about 50-60 pounds more than I do and he still beat the Yamaha's. My sled is only clutched, studded, and a Dynoport can.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
99srx700-  The reason us skidoo guys dont understand set up is that skidoo is pretty close to perfect from factory.  Sure you may need to tighten the suspention and click a shock hear or there but its pretty close.  

All i can say about the viper is that in december when the viper hype was still very high i met a guy on the trails with one.  It had 900kms on it and mine had 1000.  We were talking about trail conditions and then i asked him about his machine and how i though it looked good.  So he starts telling me that a little up the trail theres this huge airport runway and he just blew the doors of a mxz 800 and a SRX.  I told him i was headed in that direction so we went.  

We get there and theres a guy with a 98 670 mxz.  And they raced.  The 670 won the race buy about 4 sled lengths it wasnt close.  

Ive beeten SRXs with my mach when it was stock by 5 sled lengths and a race between a mach a 670 is close.  

Then two weekends ago i raced a piped and clutched SRX 700 on a lake.  Who could get to the other side first.   We were going and the srx just would not move past 180km.  

Im not trying to insult you but i have yet to see this Viper and SRX perform like all the Magazines and Yamaha says it will.  

I tend to agree with the comment above. ("Im sure there are fast yamahas out there, I just havent seen any.")

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a 97 MXZ670 clutched and otherwise just well maintained.  I only raced 1 SRX and it had aftermarket pipes, V-force reeds, and I am not sure what else.  My 670 beat the guy so bad he would not race again.  The guy I sold the sled to raced two Yammies this winter 1 SRX and 1 Viper. Smoked them both.  I have seen fast SRXs but have not run one.  I now have a 670HO.  It actually runs about equal to the 97.  The non-HO 670s are very strong running sleds all they need is clutching.  If you under estimate them you will get a big suprise.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts