Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this question wouldnt be brand specific. What is the best paint for pipes?? I bought some stuff from napa that handles up to 1200f but is a flat finish. I was hoping to find something with a semi gloss. I guess as long as it would last for a while it wouldn't matter. Anyone have any suggestions?? What have you had luck with??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. What type of finish was that char broil?? Flat or gloss?The stuff that i tested was so flat it was more gray than black.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
wood stove paint

Guy in my club also has some stuff you brush on and polish

going to have to ask

but if you want a true gloss finish that last somewhat get them ceramic coated

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i thought about ceramic coating...When i used to work on drag cars we use to use a coating called Jet Hot. If my memory recalls, it was quite expensive. Things may have changed though. that was a while ago.
I found some stuff today by plasti-coat thats good up to 1500f. I'll give it a whirl. I guess if i could get a season or two out of it, I would be happy. I remember some stuff I used on a set of headers for my truck. Drove it in on a rainy day and the paint was shot and rusted. like I never painted them. So this is why I was asking. Thanks for the reponses and if anyone else has any Ideas I would like to hear them!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The Char-Broil paint was a semi-gloss. It actually looked very good and lasted a couple seasons.[/b]
Keith, found some at Home Depot, or Menards can't remember which. :D

·
Registered
538 Posts
We have been using Flameproof VHT (very high temp). Its made by PJ1. Only available at Autozone that I have seen. You have to cure it to the directions. They want you to idle it for 10minutes, then let it cool for 20, then idle for another 20, let it cool for 20, then run it hard for 30 minutes. Thats pretty hard to do on a liquid cooled sled.
you can cure it in an oven, if you have access to a high temp chamber. I did mine at work. It held up pretty well all season. At the end of the season, I towed it on an open trailer in a blizzard with no cover. That was catasrophic. I have to re-do it for next season.
The finish is a pretty flat black. They have many colors available.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I have had good results with this stuff. Y-pipes I always jet hot or cerama coat.[/b]
Well this is BS the "insert email link doesn't work correctly !!!

I fixed it for ya Simon!!!!!! Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts