Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many think the phasing out of the triple could be a dealer influenced thing?  I know triples can be a pain to work on, do you think they are telling the makers that they are pushing twins?

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ARCTICZRT600 @ Sep. 10, 2002, 1:50pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I know triples can be a pain to work on?[/b][/quote]
ARCTICZRT600

Please explain?   I work on Triples all the time.   What do you mean they are harder to work on. I really don't understand.   Personally I think the twins are more difficult to work on.   And I wrench on sleds year around.  

I don't think that it is the dealers.   I think it is because the MFG's can build a cheaper Sled (Twin) and get near the same price for it as they would the triple.   It's all about $$$$

But that is just my humble opinion.

ZMachMan

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For instance, I found it alot easier to rip my carbs out of my EX-98 ZR600 than it is to rip them out of my 96 ZRT.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think alot has to do with the "you-don't-want-a-triple" propoganda that was plastered everywhere the last 6 years.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That may be,  but I find it easier to remove a Rack of Flatslides from a Mach Z,  then to remove a set of carbs from a Twin.    

Maybe it's just what we get used to doing.
  After all,  we are creatures of habit!

ZMachMan

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
in the manufacturing world it is all about the profits like zmachman said.just the bottom line to the bean counters.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Has any of the other mfr's quit maiking triples altogether??  It's too bad Cat couldn't adjust their costs to keep the triples going.  I was looking through some of my '01 magazines the other day, and Cat had already given up on their triples, even though they were still producing theirs.  There were no advertisements at all in 3 straight issues for Cat's triples.  They didn't stand a chance to survive.  They quit promoting them one year, so the next year they could say sales were down the prev. year, using that as their excuse to quit production.  All the ads for Cat were for the ZR's...don't get me wrong, I like my ZR, but would like to have the choice to buy a triple if I wanted to.  I think the triples will come back, just my .02.  I mean, the ZR900 is a great sled, but how does Cat think they can drop 22 hp off their biggest sled and keep people happy?

BTW, what are the triple models offered this year by each
brand?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
There were plenty of advertisements for the Thunder Cat jim. They were alwaus emphizing the 1000cc and SS rear skid.
Caleb

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Maybe so Caleb, but I sure didn't notice them in the ones I was flipping through.

·
Registered
448 Posts
All that's left is; XCR800, MachZ, Viper, & MM700, not sure if Yamaha still has their 600.  Looks like they're all on the way out.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
WHAT DEMISE.

Triples still have a market in certain parts of canada especially around lakes.  They are the best trail riding sled engine out there.

There not harder to work on and even if they were, The whole idea is for them not to break.  Im around my dealer all the time and i almost never see a sled inthere for repaire and when there is a sled its not a big deal.

Im thinking of opening up a dealer and working on triples would not be a problem.

·
Registered
963 Posts
once you get used to working on triples, it's as easy as working with twins. Like machzzzz1 mentioned, the sales and usse of the triple are fare gratter than twins near the lakes. I live in a region that has not many lakes but rather bumps, big hills and lot's of corners and curves, and I would say that more than 95% of the sled that are sold here are twins because we don't have many lakes or straight lines.I know that because I work at a dealer. If it was because the triple was to complicated to work on, why did yamy come out with a 4 cylindre.  In the future, will they cut out the twins to make mono's too?
 No, the big thing behing this is $$$$$$$$
Why make a more expensive sled, when you can make a cheaper sled and sell them for the same price? That is the new MFR'S policy.  Well Like an old french saying says "qui vivera, verra"

·
Registered
387 Posts
beacuse no one can make a 2+ cyl motor like Yamaha.

yamaha makes tanks for sleds (some of us like that...)

but clearly they are the kings of 2+ cylinder motors.

the other oems are smart enough to do what they do best. With SD, POO and AC -- twins are what they know best! Stick with it,!

check out the SD 800 SDI motor, looks to be a REAL winner!

just my 2

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Rotax is the king of motors.  Whether its 2, 1, 6, or 3 cylinders if it says rotax on it you better watch out.  

Im not saying yamaha makes bad motors.  Im just saying that the 809 rotax triple is well withen the league of the 700 srx and viper motor.  

If skidoo would just do a little tinkering on the 809 it would be very feirce, but the engine remains practicly the same since it came out in 1997 or 1996.  (Maybe im wrong with the date).  The Srx engine has been changed in 2000 for more power.  They also had a few crank problems.  Have a detonation sensor, electronic exhaust valves and a heated carbs.  

Except for DPM which just dials in the carbs for bang on jetting.  But the 809 does not have a detonation sensor, if it did i imagine that it could be tuned a lot closer to the line and made to have more power.

If you asked me the 809 is a better triple then anyother triple evermade and im sure there are a few if not many that would agree with me.

JMO

·
Registered
0 Posts
How about a retweaked SD 809 from Rotax? Now I think that
would rip considering the current 809 is a power house that
can be easily modded to make some more serious HP.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Because I want a triple and not a twin. I'm positive I'm not
alone on this. If they're selling twins for the same price
as the twins, I think many a are getting jipped out by about
a 1/3rd.  LOL  

1 - 20 of 37 Posts