Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that if the OEMs paid some attention to thier triple sleds and improved upon them, that the RX-1 would have the record sale numbers that they are getting??  It's my observation that the people that are buying this sled are people that own triple cylinder sleds.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Exactly! If we would be looking at some lighter weight chassis with triples, the Rx-1 would have half the orders, (Or Less). If even for more ponies people would have bought a newer 800-1000 cc. I have found no need to replace my Mach Z from 1997, as I would have gained no performance. I would sell 2 of my 3 machines, to get one triple 2 stroke with 160 hp or more and a little lighter 520 lb machine.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The triple sled will never die they will be around till the death of the 2 strokes if that ever happens (never gonna happen).  

The RX-1 is getting a lot of orders because its new and exciting.  It also offers a very neat 4 stroke superbike engine setup.  It will be fast maybe faster then the best stock triple.  But i dont care.  You can always buy or make a faster sled.  

Triples have multiple advantages to both twins and 4 strokes and they also have there disadvantages.  However there is enough of a market to sell all three of them.  But the manufactors are not giving the triple engine the same chance as the twins.  There not putting them into the new highly designed sled,  There not advertising them.  There not revamping them.  No there just there waiting for any buyer that might stumble apon one and buy it.  

I would bet all of my sleds that if Skidoo made a sled like the one Im describing it would send the triple sled sales higher then the RX1 and most twin models.

Skidoo 800 or 600 Triple Mach Z

800cc or 600cc triple engine
ZX chassie.
X package suspention
SDFI
RER
And keep the weight down to within twin levels.  This can be done (Maybe not to ZX twin levels but it can come very close look at yamaha viper)

Thats it.  Then during saturday morning on TSN and TNN and all the other channels that skidoo and all manufactors advertise on blast that out 3 or 4 time per show.  

It would sell period.  A survay on this site awhile back proved this.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I would hate to see triples die, but if they don't keep the sales up, they won't keep them around.

Like Machzzz said, they aren't giving it a fair chance, so their sales are going to slip.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think the future for triples looks good.

FishHog

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Even though the triples are not currently the "hot setup", I'm betting they will be again. Somebody will "rediscover" the features they offer, and off we go again. The big twins will die on the vine, and the triples will reign supreme....again.

AL

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
Machzzzz1 I was told by chris bondi that the 809 is only 10 lbs. heavier than the 800 twin.so I would say they are in the ballpark already.the problem is they can make more profit selling us an engine that cost them much less to produce and try telling us they are much lighter when in reality they are not.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The profit/sale ability is not in triples. They get #### near the same money for one less hole, pipe, carb, coil etc. Then there is all the extra manufacturing assembly time/planning that goes with a triple.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I dont care if it cost them more to build tripples.  Cry me a river.  We already pay a outragous emount of money to these guys and i belive they should give us what they want.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
As a person that prefers the four strokes, and who is a slowpoke, I cannot understand why they don't market the triple more aggressively.  The triple that I rented las February was a blast.  I even turned down larger "more comfortable" sleds left over from no shows when I was offered the free upgrade I liked it so much.

The first time I finally got brave enough to stab the throttle "just a bit,"  I was rewarded with one #### of a rush!!  I also thoroughly enjoyed the sound of that thing running 7000 rpm.  

Not to mention that they even got a bit better fuel mileage than the twins.  

ALL of the makers are stupid for not taking care of the triple market.  

Triples rock!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well it is like this at my house. I am picking up my zr900 twin tomorrow. I am keeping my zrt though, I am just not sure I am going to like the twin.My wife thinks I am going to sell it though, I told her I had to get itdown here and get "it fixed up" I also told her my buddy 'Greg" wanted to buy it and I would wait for him to "scrape up the $$$" Knowing that he just borrowed #0,000 from his mom so he could open his own store (hobbyshop). Kevin

·
Registered
310 Posts
i think that the 4 stroke market will eat up the rest of the triple market.  twins are better for trail and aggresive riding anyway,  in my opinion.  ive owned a triple, and would rather have a twin.  but some people are different.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I guess I am split..... I've owned polaris triples (xcr 600 and xlt 580) and had a ton of driveabilty problems... plugs, gas line freeze, carbs...etc. then I switched to yamaha twins (vmax 600, vmax 600xt- 2 of them) no problems, just not fast and gas HOGS. I've switched to srx700 for the last 4 yrs and NO complaints ever!! I like the idea of lighter weight twins but the gas mileage is not as good and there is nothing like opening up the srx!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Triples Rule! I too think they will be back. Of course this won't happen if the manufacturors refuse to give them a chance. If they don't then I won't be buying a new sled any time soon.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think you guys are right, the manuafacturers would love to see us buy twins instead of triples because lets face it, there is less money involved in building a twin. I think the reason why those who are going for the RX-1 are people who formerly owned triples is because if you take all the benefits of a triple and multiply them by ten then the result is a four stroke. As far as twins being better on the trails...I am not too sure about that. From what I understand (although this is very subjective) the wet weights of many of the triples are surprisingly close to the twins. I think its funny how everone talks about dry weight when wet weight is what really matters. Sometimes I wonder if those who say that twins handle better are saying that because they have been exposed to the marketing hype.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Maybe one of the reasons for the popularity of the RX-1 with the former triple owners has to do with vibration. The twin 2 strokes that would be competitive with the triples definitely vibrate. The 4 banger will be smooth if nothing else....

AL

·
Registered
757 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sometimes I wonder if those who say that twins handle better are saying that because they have been exposed to the marketing hype.[/b][/quote]

There's probably some truth to that.  I will say first hand that my ZR will probably handle a tight trail better than my ZRT.  The seat of the pants feel is it's easier to throw around and it definitely flys better.  BUT - take nothing away from the ZRT.  It does just fine.  I've ridden behind some pretty wicked MXZ's and ZR's and kept up just fine.  Plus I prefer the over-all ride and powerband of my ZRT better than my ZR.  Bottom line is I like them both for different reasons.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts