Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just lifted a rear end of Rx-1, and it was heavier than any  rear end without snow in it I ever lifted. The front could not be dreamt of being lifted by the puny bumper, as it would disintegrate, so had to resort to grabbing suspension. It was as heavy as any sled I ever lifted. The color I saw was red, but I think the blue is sharper. Under the hood you could only see the tops of carbs, and barely see chain case oil dipstick. Your gonna have huge expense if you tag anything on the front end with one of these.  I hope the performance makes up for the congestive under hood area and weight.

·
Registered
752 Posts
What is the dry weight on one of those ? I looked at the yami site and couldn't find anything about wieght. I bet it is still lighter than the tank I drive at 586 lbs. dry.

·
Registered
83 Posts
sharky where did you see this. I thought onle limited racers had received theirs and I wouldn't think they would be racing a er model. Are you sure it was a production model?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw it at Sheehan's Yamaha in Watertown S. Dakota. I heard an ad on radio Saturday, saying come see the Yamaha RX-I, instead of RX-1. I knew the announcer had screwed up. So there it was parked a long ways in front of the dealers shop. It had been driven. Around 590 pounds with no gas, but antifreeze in it. It had a couple gallons in it when I lifted it. It would not be like a Doo for breaking in, as we ride 4 hours at around 200 miles to break in, and are restricted only a few percent on horsepower, you can't hardly feel the difference. On this Yamaha you run at 8000 rpm for 20 hours instead of 10200 rpm. It would not work for me. My first trip is high elevation deep snow riding. I would leave it home. 3/4 throttle and the weight would piss me off and get me plenty stuck.

·
Registered
959 Posts
ill stick up for sharky i saw one yesterday too at the columbia county fair at a dealers booth   it was red and yes it was heavy!! i like the looks though

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The biggest pigs are.................
Yamaha RX-1 = unknown wieght
Ski Doo Legend Sport V-1000 = 562#
Arctic Cat 4 Stroke trail = 561#
Ski Doo Mach Z = 559#
Polaris XCR 800 = 555#
Acrtic Cat ZL 800 EFI esr = 547#
Polaris Frontier Classic = 541#

Fatest of  all sleds  = Acrtic Cat Bearcat 695#  
 LOL
It has a 15 gallon tank and a range of 300plus miles with the 660 triple 4 Stroke.Just imagine 2 - 200# riders,a full tank of gas and oil,well,you do the math.

There you have it,I was bored  

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mighty RX-1 @ July 29, 2002, 11:15pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You forgot the T-cat.[/b][/quote]
I did not forget the T-cat. These are weights of 2003 models. If Cat still made a T-cat I'm sure it would have been on the list.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I didnt find the back end on the RX-1 any heavier then my mach.  But the front is unbudgeable.  My guess for the sled is over 600lb.

·
Registered
413 Posts
mxz7, I know you listed 2003 models, but my in-laws 1000 pantera is listed I think at 570+ lbs and like 11' long.  Man, I thought that was a tank, if that RX-1 is over that, I pitty the fool that has to dig it out.  I've dug his out several times on uphill slopes  in 2-3' of powder and man was it an ordeal.  The first thing you did was get undressed, because you had some work ahead of you.  The difference was at 174 hp, it would lift the ski's right off the ground.  The jury is still out on the RX-1

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
No way man!!  That cannot be a real sled now can it???

What would you call it, a snowmobus??  

If it is real, who made it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
If  work  sleds  count  I`d  have  to  say  the  Alpine  I  looked  in  the  95  Brochure  the  last  year  I  think  it  was  made  778  pounds  I`d  hate  to  get  that  stuck.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was referring to 2003 sleds. Yamaha will have to sign up for weights of sleds for grass drags. Just as the other brands will have to register.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I dont understand why yamaha is not relasing the weight and are putting a junk front bumper on it that cant even handle the weight.  

What the H3LL are they hiding.  And whats with the bumper.  I would be very suspisious.  Now there putting a 8000rpm revlimiter for the first 20hours.  What kind of engine takes 20hours to brake in.  Maybe 10 but more likly 5.  

Engines today especially motorcycle engines like the R1 are build in ways that reduce brake in.  They bore the cylinders with a plate on the top of the block simulating that the heads are on and toruqed so as there is a more exact piston fit.  New greases and bearings are around as well as syntetic oils.  

Say what you want but 20H breaking is also very suspisious.  My opinion and yes im gonna say it is that i dont belive that yamaha can get there bike engine to run under snowmobile conditions at 10500rpm like claimed.  In a bike they may do 10000 rpm for only a few secs but in a sled it might hold that for the whole lake or drag.

For all of you hoping for a longer living engine over 2 strokes.  Well good luck with a engine turing 10500rpm.  Yamaha is very weird over this one.

Skidoo with the Rev have not held anything back.  THey proved what it could do and showed us how the machine would look when we take delivery,  Arctic cat is simular with the firecat.  But yamaha wont even show you the real front bumber, Maybe its gonna be a boat fender.  I would be very learing of buying this one the first year.  

Any of you ever notice how easy it is to get ahold of bombardier.  They got contact us on there website, They got numbers to call, Customer reps like claire and carlos.  But when you try to complain or ask questions to yamaha its hard as h3ll to get a address or number and then they never return your call or email.  

Hope you know what your getting into. Oh wait you dont none of us do.

I hope this stirs the pot and gets some action going on this site.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts