Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the club meeting last night one of our members told me that he was at a honda dealer who also sells snowmobiles. He jokingly asked when the Honda sleds were coming. The guy told him he would definately have them in the showroom next year and that he knew someone that had actually ridden one. Apparently a 1500cc turbo! Sounds like a little much, but if your making a rumor why not make it a good one! Sounds like this is for real though! Can't wait to see what they come up with. Does Honda ever come out with crap? (NO!)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
There was a discusion about this a while back. One thing I can add if I may,Honda wants its dealers to exclusively sell Honda only. Is that another hint?

·
Registered
283 Posts
This is not a new rumour.

Who knows if we'll really see a Honda sled on the snow next year, but if it does, it will be a four stroke and it will probably be a turbo model.

One thing is for sure, it would be very Japanese OEM-ish to let their competitor (Yam) test the waters with a new type of vehicle (the RX-1) before they followed suit with a similar model, don't you think?

It would also give Honda the opportunity to survey the pet peeves of 2003 RX-1 owners and issue a vehicle that will excel in all of these concern areas especially. If the RX-1 is the best seller this year (it will be), Honda will certainly want a piece of this market.

-Rob

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
They definately have enough time invested....they've been playing w/the idea for about 20 years. If it goes through, I hope a dealer near me carries them :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Can you say V-Tech? Has anyone ever thought about what kind of power you would see out of a bike motor with a V-Tech head on it? I know a guy who is an Acura tech and he said that when he was in school they told him that most engines Will make a 40% gain in power just by using technology like V-Tech. It would be nice to see Honda come out with something like this in a sled.

·
Registered
387 Posts
>>If the RX-1 is the best seller this year (it will be)...

I doubt it, and certainly not in NY state I haven’t seen or heard about many at all. Local dealers have not sold many either??? Maybe in the mid-west or far-west??

I have read that it is the "best seller" too, but I think that was for pre orders -- just not sure where they are selling them all (if they are) and I have long since learned not to believe what Yamaha tells us – or worse yet Maximumsled, they clearly have a Yamaha bias. (but so do I)

--2002 ViperER

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hey mxz7, Rob would probably know, only he most likely wouldn't tell. If Honda did make one and wanted dealers to sell honda exclusively, I wonder what Rob would do?

·
Registered
677 Posts
If honda started to make sleds i think i would switch brands. Nothing beats a honda in reliability, they are bullet proof. Plus with all the success they have had in motocross and superbike raceing, why couldn't they build a killer sled. I really hope they do get into the snowmobile market and show us just what they can do.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Must not be selling the RX-1's too fast, dropped by Hauk powersports in Rice Lake the other day and they had about 4 of them sitting on the floor and another 6 or so outside, and the dealer in EauClaire has about 10 of them.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Originally posted by Steimy@Nov 8 2002, 05:53 PM
Hey mxz7, Rob would probably know, only he most likely wouldn't tell. If Honda did make one and wanted dealers to sell honda exclusively, I wonder what Rob would do?
I agree,Rob would not let the cat out of the bag. As far as Honda exclusive,no way. Rob will never give up Bombi.

I think most people can agree on Honda quality. To sit back and watch Yami cash in on a good piece of the sled market must be making them think of when to dive in. I agree w/ LabradorBoy,Honda may be waiting for input from RX-1 owners,and then a few years down the road we may just see the next super-sled. I hope so. ???

·
Registered
959 Posts
:withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: he has to much biz with skidoo to let it go but honda would bring in some money too the more the better then the prices will go down on sleds !! then i can afford one

·
Registered
430 Posts
Honda will no dought enter the "4-stroke market". They have the reliability and engineering knowledge to pass up Yami. They have a larger buget than Yamaha and have the people to make a more attractive machine that will appeal to the general public.
I work for a Japanese Mfg. Co. that dirrectly sells to the American and Japanese auto Mfg's... Honda and Nissan by far have the "power and $$$" to make a difference in any asspect of motorsports. If Honda decides to enter the wintersports market they will dominate. That is a fact. (Look at the 400EX) It is a 4 stroke that smokes the Banshi (Yami) in everything except afordable aftermarket products..
I digress.
Sleds are my thing and I personally don't care who enters the 4-stroke market so long as they keep the two-stroke Triple!!
We are all just starting to see the reality of what the future will be in the Snowmobiling industry.!
:sly:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Up here in ontario many buyers have canceled there RX-1 orders and bought a smaller 600 or 500 due to the insurance cost on them. Its over 1500.00 and probably closer to 2000.00 dollars a year.

I think that if honda came up with a sled it would be very basic and made for the typical honda owner.

I personnaly think that honda stuff is very very boring except for there superbikes. But ATV,OUTBOARDS, DIRTBIKES are all run of the mill tried and tested stuff that still have drum brakes.

Honda engines do have a good reputation, but honda works hard making sure it stays that way buy covering up mechanical failures and blaming the consumer for problems with there product. I have had very very poor luck with honda reps with a few of there products.

One things for sure I would hop on a RX-1 way before I would even consider a honda.

·
Registered
48 Posts
run of the mill that still have drum brakes, i hope you are aware that honda is the only company that has the twin spar aluminum frame on their motocross bikes that do have hydralic disk brakes instead of drum.
Ben

·
Registered
664 Posts
Originally posted by Machzzzz1@Nov 10 2002, 05:48 PM
Up here in ontario many buyers have canceled there RX-1 orders and bought a smaller 600 or 500 due to the insurance cost on them. Its over 1500.00 and probably closer to 2000.00 dollars a year.

I think that if honda came up with a sled it would be very basic and made for the typical honda owner.

I personnaly think that honda stuff is very very boring except for there superbikes. But ATV,OUTBOARDS, DIRTBIKES are all run of the mill tried and tested stuff that still have drum brakes.

Honda engines do have a good reputation, but honda works hard making sure it stays that way buy covering up mechanical failures and blaming the consumer for problems with there product. I have had very very poor luck with honda reps with a few of there products.

One things for sure I would hop on a RX-1 way before I would even consider a honda.
WOW! You guys really get socked up there. I pay around $160 for the year on my 00 mxz 700. If I had to pay that much extra to insure my sled I honestly don't think I would ride.

·
Registered
678 Posts
run of the mill that still have drum brakes, i hope you are aware that honda is the only company that has the twin spar aluminum frame on their motocross bikes that do have hydralic disk brakes instead of drum.
I think he is refering to their ATV's and I would tend to agree with him on that. They make nice bikes though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
last time i checked my honda cr had front and rear disc brakes, and never a problem, not to mention extremly abused and just keeps on going.....

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I love how almost every honda owner says they abuse there stuff. It could be a car, dirtbike, atv or what ever its always abused and never dies. They say this as they pull away shifting at 1500 rpm swirving to avoid a puddle.

When I say abused Im talking about driving it hard, Always to the bar, Letting it suffer as it spins. Im talking about running your Dodge Ramcharger 318 with so low oil that the dipstick rusts and the lifters cant lift the valves becasue theres no oil in them to charge. (True story from my buddy.) THATS ABUSE.

Yes i realize that there dirtbikes have diskbrakes. I was refuring to there atvs.

IMO ATVs are the closest cousin to Sledding. They both run the same trails, There both sold and marketed the same way. And for most sledder thats there way out in the summer.

So to judge a company with out seeing what they got you have to look at there closest things and there atvs are like i said before very very boring and plain.

Bombardier has the REV and DS650 both unreal performers and great handling. And mostly bombardier, yamaha and Arctic cat have guts to try new stuff. Honda doesnt and guts are very importent in this industry because the technology one year is garbage next year. Sort of like computers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts