Snowmobile World banner

41 - 60 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
I disagree machzzzz1, the CK-3 is way more agile than you give it credit. My buddies on ZX chassis's can't outrun me thru the trails nor can they out jump me.  As a matter of fact, I have a buddy with a bad back on an mxz 800 twin that switchs sleds with me when the trails get really rough.  He said my sled rides smoother thru the rough stuff (I have an ETS kit).  I think the best comparison is this, on a rough road, what rides better, an olds delta 88 or a chevy monza?!  You are right on one thing, they get out of my way on the straightaways.  Don't get me wrong, I like the ZX platform, it's just that at 6'3", 225 lbs., the CK-3 fits me like a glove.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yeah your right.  But at 6.3 you can tame anything.  The zx just looks less frightening for a smaller guy.  

Im 6.5 and i drive the mach great though the woods.  But my friend whos 5.8 can hardly do a turn.  Remember this is fast driving anyone can drive it at the speed limit.  

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Or even if it is just as good.  Skidoo doesnt let you know that.  Theres a lot of people going with the ZX because they think its a SAFE BUY.  THE CK3 is a mystery to most because you dont see that many of them.  

By the way mightymach.  YOU JUMP YOURS.  You have to tell me how it went.

·
Registered
311 Posts
This is what I call jumping, it may differ from others.  There's a spot up in Michigans UP on the west side where these power lines go for miles.  Up and down, large sweeping hills.  We all take turns being the leader. The lead rider will crest the hill and look for on coming traffic, if he gives a thumbs up, we hammer it.  Talk about catching air!  Of all the sleds that I have ever owned, my ck-3 flies perfectly.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Sweet.  I might try some of that this year.  

One thing i really like about the mach is how you sit right back and you are sort of reclined and the gauges are way in front of you.  THe new zx has everything in your face and it feels to top heavy even though that is just an ilusion.  

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bottom line - they aren't selling many triples any more so why throw money at a project you won't get much back out of.  The majority of buyers have moved over to twins so that is where they have concentrated their efforts the last few years.

I would like to see a triple in the ZX (or a new) chassis as well but unless it offers a substanstial weight savings and handling improvement over the current CK3 chassis I am going to stick with my 800 twin.  For the majority of riding that I do, it is more fun.  I do miss my old MachZ, but only on the lake!

Mike.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The buyers were almost forced to buy twins.  Everyone didnt just wake up and want a twin.  The magazines suported twins, The companyies made them in the newer machines that everyone wanted and so they killed the tripple themselfs.  I have a feeling if the enviromentalist dont ruin it for 2 strokes that the tripple will come back.

·
Registered
184 Posts
the mach is realy rare to see in the seattle area.
mostly sumits

but saw a mach at the dealler today 53 miles on odometer
whith a 144x1.75 track useing slp extenshions.

not many grand touring sleds eather.

frend has a 800 x highmark whith 2 up seat and every thing that comes on the touring sled

any way I wonder how the mach holds against the sumit whith the same size track??

·
Registered
311 Posts
Does everyone in your neighborhood have a new or maybe one or two year old vette?  I don't understand why not? It must be that not everyone wants one. The same thing with the MachZ.  Its expensive!  You get what you pay for. If every person here could get a MachZ for the price of a twin how many would jump at the opportunity?!  Machzzzz1 made a very good point several posts ago, I'm a big dude at 6'3", 225 and I don't have a problem throwing around the Mighty Mach.  I'm sure the average rider at 5'9" can't say that so they need a smaller sled to muscle. At least that's the expieriance I have with the guys I ride with.  All the big guys are on CK-3's while the smaller dudes are on the s-2000 or mxz chassis'.  I was told last season by a big wig at Bombardier that the CK-3 would be around for a while mainly because it gave riders another choice.  Back to the vette again, chevrolet sells fewer vettes than any other car it sells, does that mean they should stop making it?!?!

·
Registered
279 Posts
The ck3 chassis imo Is good for cruising. I bought one when they first came out in 98 because it was the newest offering by skidoo, I was told bythe dealer how great it was, how it handled so well bla bla bla. I tried to ride it like a mxz and you cant. I dont care how big or good you think you are the zx chassis is head and shoulders above the ck3 tank, for that matter I prefered the f2000 and the s2000 over the ck3. Anyways I fell in love with the tripple but not enough to keep the chassis it came in.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The ck3 chassie is way better then the s 2000.  You cant even compair.  It handles everyting better and turns about the same.  

Just because its heavy doesnt mean its sucks at handling.  Just means it weighs more.  

I wonder how it would be if they put a 42inch skistance.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
hey machzzz1, i am sure you are going to keep it up long enough and they will not stop at the triple. ski-doo will be going for a quad you will have them so sold on it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I totally disagree with tb2. The CK-3 rocks with a good rider of the proper size and weight. I have yet to have the almighty mxz loose me. I stay right on their ###'s and patiently wait for a straightaway and BAM, I'm gone. Another reason I ride the ck-3 is its looks, my black mach with its yellow graphics is simply stunning. There are so few black 99's around that people are always asking what I'm riding and commenting on what a cool looking sled it is. It upset's a couple of my buddies that have both 98's and a couple 2000 milliniums. I don't want to ride a sled that every other joe is riding, mxz's are everywhere! I'm really looking forward to every other sled this year being a viper..............

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I like how you worded the part about taking a mxz

"I stay right on their ###'s and patiently wait for a straightaway and BAM, I'm gone."  Its so true..  They dont have a hope in ####.

·
Registered
668 Posts
You guys are crazy!
I mean that in a good way!  :D  :D  :D

now what if it was a green thundercat in front of you? How long is that straightaway gonna need to be ?  

·
Registered
279 Posts
Im glad it worked out for you. No matter what I did this sled pushed in the corners when driven hard. I had 10" carbides the front skis cranked up, the limiter strap pulled up a few holes butt slid up to the gas tank (Im 6.0 205),and the results were the same. Great if ridden at a moderate level, or fair when the snow conditions are very hard packed and grippy and lousy all the other times. Im just wondering why I have never seen one on a snow cross track racing in the 800 or open class if they handle and fly so good??

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Ha Ha Ha Good question.  

The mach would be like a corvette or a dodge viper.  Very fast in a straite line.  Can turn and corner and If you want to jump them well?  Go for it Not saying its going to be pretty.  

The Mxz is like a SUV.  Some suvs are fast,  Some can even corner,  But they can jump better then any other veichle.

The problem with snomobilers is that all the snowmobiles are so close in a lot of catagories that you buy which looks better.  

For motorcycles if you wanted to race or turn you buy a sport bike.  If you wanted to jump you buy a dirt bike.  Snowmobilers dont have that kind of seperations because all the machines are good and the driver can hide little flaws with his or hers technic.  Saying this i belive that a expert driver on a mach hiding the little flaws by driving it better then the avrage joe can out do a mxz because the mxz driver has a lot less power to work with.  

·
Registered
311 Posts
very well said machzzzz1. I did not mean to imply that the CK-3 handles as well as the mxz, I meant it will handle real well with a good rider. My point was with a good rider, the similarities are soooo close there isn't a noticable difference. Plus, looks is a major point in my decision in sled choices and I simply prefer the looks of the CK-3.  Oh yea, the thundercat issue, I can honestly tell you that I have never been beat by a relatively stock one.  Modified are a different story, fortunately, I haven't run in to many good running thunderkitties.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
SO much of the sleds handling is a direct result of rider skill.  You will not be able to just jump on any machine and expect it to taylor to you..  You have to taylor to the machine and drive it the best it can be driven.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Simply put you can compensate for a so-called handling advantage but how do you compensate for a HP advantage (assuming the power is getting to the snow)? I have a 98 Mach Z and am 5'11", 190 lbs. I have no problem showing my sled who's boss and have yet to be passed when I don't want to be (my old 95 XCR 600 used to tire me out twice as much). The majority of the people that complain about the CK3 (or heavy 3x3's for that matter) have never even driven one, they just go with the hype and take what the magazines publish as gospel (I know, I used to be one of them until I made the mistake of taking my buddy's 96 Zed for a spin - hooked for life!). Sorry but the twinkie twins are not for me either (each to there own), once you get a taste of "big block" power there's no going back! As for a snocross track because the speeds seldom go above 60 mph the "heavy" triple is at a big disadvantage (this is where the agile quick turning ability of the lighter twins shines). It's a good thing that the real world is not a snocrosss track!

41 - 60 of 237 Posts