Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying another 98 XC 700.

I just sold mine, but am thinking of getting another. I didn't do any modifications to mine, it was basically stock. I'm thinking this time out, I may want to giver a little performance. I may have a little dough for say 1 or 2 things.

What would be the best mod to do?.. e.g. pipes..

What would you do for the first mod?

·
Registered
179 Posts
:devil: Well if i were you i'd eather pipe her or do head work and put some reeds in her i all ways wondered why spend all that money on the clutch kit and come to find out when you want to moddife your power level you have to reclutch and some times this means buying new helixs springs ect so i say if you have the bucks then go for it. Hope this helps you have a great winter

·
Registered
75 Posts
i got a 98 xc700 with pipes, heads, and reeds and my god it sure woke up that sled, my total cost is around $1200 and thats with the timing and the clutching, it was well worth the money, i would throw the goodies at it :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've gt one. I love it. All stock except clutching and jetting, gearing. Have you guys had trouble with the rear ryde fx shox on yours? Mine were junk last year, no pressure, pitted so I put on some rebuildable fox shox. What a difference SWRules

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies.

I was leaning towards the piping too. Is it something a so-so fixer up'r can do? or should I face the facts.. and bring it in to have it professionally done?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
692 Posts
face the facts you can do it!!!!!

all you need to do is change the jets!

you will also need to change you clutching around, might as well get right ito the gearing also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I'd go for SLP Boost bottle, SLP Powerpack and V-Force Reeds, that's like stage one. Stage 2 for me would be pipes, airbox gutting, maybe heads. All of these mods need clutching and jetting....I would also change that big ol' seat to a slim tank and seat!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Absolute must - the Tempaflow 2

Installed it this summer on my triple. You can jet this thing smack on and keep it there forever.

I have been real happy on the grass this year at +20, using the same jetting at -20.

Piston wash never looked so perfect. Cheapest mod you can buy.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I would but the aaen base gasket shim kit in which comes with a new head. Which will raise port timing. And spank twin pipes on it if I was to keep my 98 600 that is what I would be doing. A boost bootle and slp power paks. And clutch kit did wonders for my 600.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you buy a new set of pipes it should come with jetting and clutching information. SLP is real good about helping customers get their setup right over the phone if you decide to go that route. And there is nothing real hard about doing any of these mods, plus it's a good idea to get to "know" your sled.

Like most everyone else said, go with pipes first and tune around them and you'll start noticing a "seat of the pants" difference.

Oh, by the way, I'm a dealer for SLP so I should be able to get you a pretty good price if you decide that way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks once again. I definately want to try this out myself.

jsledder, I would definately be interested in finding out what you have to offer. I'm in Canada.. that may be a problem.

Anyhoo.. just did a little reading on the internet about jetting.. so we'll see how this goes.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pipes would give you the most if you want to do more tinkering more often. Yours will have Kehin carbs on it, and as you know, it likes to load up on bottom end. Put leaner needles in it (R1371G-3, Polaris part no. #3050256) which are out of a RMK 700, and if that won't clear it all up install the RMK slides as well. They have a different cut in them, leaning the idle circuit. Heavier weights and a steaper helix will make it run stronger as well. Remember, these 700's like lots of load on the engine to produce the power and torque.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would start with v-force reeds , then drop one or two teeth in the gearing . I did this on mine with good results and not much cash.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts