Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went over to the Ski-Doo webpage, and I was very pleased.  Sleds are looking better than ever.  Plus the interduction of a 4 stroke 1000cc engine.  Wow, that will be heck of a beast to unleash.  If I didn't have a 02 MXZ X 600 with only 85 miles, I would consider a new sled this year.  Gotta hand it to Ski-Doo to keep pumping quality looking, and performing selds.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Yes i agree the new doos are nice but i think the 01 and 02`s have sharper looking decals than the 03`s, but yes no mistake the 03 are awsome!

·
Registered
310 Posts
yea im thinking of getting the MX Z X REV 600HO w/ RER, for 8500, but after this season is right, but i think that el nino thing is back for next year, which means MORE SNOW!!!  well it better anyway.  but im planning on buying one of those.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mxz7 @ Feb. 27, 2002, 9:24pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Doos look top shelf.I would like to order a REV,but after this season?
???[/b][/quote]
I hear ya man.  No way am I selling my MXZ X this year for a 03.  I'm just happy to see the new 1000cc 4 stroke.  That should be very interesting once it's out.  Has to be one helluva quick sled.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey those new 4 strokes arent good engins at all their good for lon distance travel but suck for power the same power as a 500 fan. Its the sucky truth but they are.
Ski-Doo will get better but suck right now. Give them a few years.

·
Registered
858 Posts
At least they don't suck as much gas as 2 stroke  

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree!  Ski-Doo has the best 03 line up in the industry by a country mile.  They even retrofitted the existing chassis sleds with the awesome new gauges. You can get RER on anything but a mini Z, V-1000 four stroke, 800 SDI two-stroke, 120 HP 600HO, Rev Chassis, and the ZX chassis is bullet proof. All I can say is WOW!!! In the next sentence I must say that the 03 pricing is very stiff!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Machster, the V-1000 is actually a bit more powerful than you think.  I think it is in the 85 to 90 hp range.  That is in the 500 liquid range. Not bad for touring and sport type sleds.  Plus, when Doo introduced this engine the only competition was Polaris and Cat with HPs in the 40s. The RX-1 was not introduced.  I bet that V-1000 is in a low state of tune.  I bet it would take very little to pump it up to 110 HP or better.  Or they could just drop the 1500CC 3 cylinder 4-stroke that they offer in the Sea-Doo in to a Ski-Doo chassis.  In watercraft state of tune that puts out 155HP.  I bet it would gain more HPs if they put it in a sled.  The 3 cyl design makes more sense in a snowmobile than a 4 cyl like the RX-1 IMO.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That V-1000 4 stroke is virtually identical to the unit that Rotax makes for Aprilia motorcycles. When used in their RSV Mille bike, it produces 130 HP. In sport touring form in the 1000 Falco model, it makes about 100. The 4-Tek engine used in the PWC could make 200 HP easily for snowmobile applications. The only problem would be weight, which is rather high. The Sea Doo GTX with a 900+ cc 2 stroke weighs in at 70 lbs. less than the same unit with the 4 stroke. As far as weight goes, even though Yamaha says that the RX-1 weighs only 5% more than the SRX-700, they're bending the truth a little in doing so. Apples to apples, the SRX weighs about 520 dry, so in this context, the RX-1 would weigh in at about 550, which is in the range of an 800 triple/triple. What Yamaha isn't saying loudly is that it is 5% more weight than a similarly equipped SRX, namely with a battery and electric starter. A further fudge factor is the fact that since the RX-1 will get much better gas mileage, it's gas tank is smaller by maybe a couple of gallons, and they're figuring this weight savings as well. I think you'll find that the true "equivalent dry weight" of the RX-1 will be closer to 580-590 lbs. by the time all is said and done. Yeah, it has better torque by a long shot. but physics is still physics. You still have to hook the torque to the snow and you still have to change direction in a given amount of time while negotiating the twisties. I'll try out the REV 800 for next year, and see what comes up after that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
LOL you guys make me laugh
Im not telling you that your wrong but go to an honest ski-doo dealer and they will tell you that it makes the power of a 500 fan.
Ski-doo will come around trust me with the 4-stoke just not yet!!!
I love the 03 line up im getting the mxz-x REV 600 h.o
with my 02 600-mxm-x trade in

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The V-twin 1000 is no race engine.  I heard it makes 91 hp about the same as a 500 liquid.  

But my eye is on that 800 SDI.  It gets the same emmitions as the 1000, And gets %25 better fuel and oil eco which is probably right up there with the 4 stroke also.  And to top it of they also claim more power.  And they got all the sensors that doo was with out that will make the sled way more realiable plus make you sweat less when your making that full throttle lake crossing.

The Rev is also a break through.  To bad it doesnt have the SDI engine in it.  But this Chassieto me is better in every way compaired to every other chassie.  I have heard from people that rode one and from people that just sat on one and its amazing.  I also sat on one and was just impressed. Every little detail was there.  It just screemed quality it is by far doos best work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmmm, if a REV 600HO or 800 both weight 454lbs then it stands to reason that a REV with a 900 twin 2 stroke like a Sea Doo would still weigh 454 lbs.  If the 155hp 1500cc 4-stroke Sea Doo weighs 70lbs more than the same Sea Doo with a 900 2-stroke then that means the REV with the 4 stroke would weight 524 lbs plus about 20 lbs for a battery and starter.  That makes it 544 lbs of centralized mass with 155 hp.  Sounds like an RX-1 masacre waiting to happen.  If they come out with it I will buy one. but, if they put the V-1000 in the REV with 130 hps like it has in the Aprilla bike I would buy that first.  I bet it would not weigh more than 510 lbs.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Are you guys sure that the new v-1000 is from the aprilla motorcycles.  

It looks like the bombardier atv engine (650 Quest) only two of them put together and with smaller cylinders.  

Well the Rx-1 is made for performance this v-twin will probably be the ultimate crusier.  It has fuel injection and the RX-1 doesnt so that will probably be a trail plus.  But lets not kid ourselfs.  The V-twin will never be a 1000 RX-1 plant.  

After seeing what bombardier did this year i think they are sticking to 2 strokes.  I cant wait to hear a magazine do a review on the SDI 800.  This is really exciting.  It could change the views on 2 strokes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts