Snowmobile World banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
here is something to think about. you go through all that trouble and money parking your sleds in an enclosed trailer and putting reciever locks, good door hinges and locks. all they have to do is remove the nut on the ball and slide it on their reciever, put the nut on and take their time cutting locks off in their garage. so it might be a good idea to buy one more cable and run it through your vehicle frame or hitch and around your trailer toungh some how. :bash:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Originally posted by goose@Dec 2 2004, 11:11 PM
here is something to think about. you go through all that trouble and money parking your sleds in an enclosed trailer and putting reciever locks, good door hinges and locks. all they have to do is remove the nut on the ball and slide it on their reciever, put the nut on and take their time cutting locks off in their garage. so it might be a good idea to buy one more cable and run it through your vehicle frame or hitch and around your trailer toungh some how.  :bash:
[snapback]370525[/snapback]​

There are receivers, specially the three ball types, where there is no nut. The balls are welded to the receiver. I use them regularly to tow boats with the company truck. Ball usually wear out so we replace the whole unit.
I have good insurance and 5 locks all on at one time. I do carry a 15 foot cable in the sled that cannot be cut with cutters and a chain on the trailer that needs a hydraulic cutter to get through...To many locks, theives are not going to waste there time. Couple locks they will go after...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I am going to be making a small platform in my truck which will be bolted to my 5th wheel plate. It will be about 4 inches high, and wide enough for the track. I will be mounting a track lock type thing that slides over the rails to the platform. The lock will be made of a very strong steel, along with a really good pad lock to keep it in place. It will be good because with it being bolted to the plate in the box, it iwll be almost impossible to get undone with the sled sitting there, and the sled will be locked to the truck, so they can't just take it off and then worry about the locks and stuff after, they will have to cut the lock while sitting in the back of the truck. Another plus is that incase of an accident, the sled should stay pretty steady in the back of the truck.

Bauer

·
Registered
178 Posts
you could also take your plugs out over night.................just dont leave a spare next to it :sarcasm:

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have an older sled. So it's easy enough to pull the ignition wires off and start it. So what I did is reversed the wires. So On is really 'off' and 'off' is really 'on'. Perspective thief thinks............Hey! the key's in it! Turns it to on and starts pulling........ Then thinks there may be something wrong.........So disconnects the ignition and starts pulling some more..........Little does he/she know......that the CDI box is in my pocket!

But I definately like the baby monitor idea! Wonder how long the battery will last when it's -20 out! But I do have a plug in my parking spot at home for a block heater......I guess I could just plug it in when I'm at my apartment....

·
Registered
548 Posts
:lmao: Polaris cover. :lmao:
Hidden kill switch ,and I take my belt off.You can put your belt, and spare in each of your jacket arms where ever you are, when you have your coat off. Works great at busy bars, or restarants. Just don't lose your cool Ski Doo coat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the Polaris cover idea! LMAO!

I also like the hidden kill switch idea, but in reality it takes about the same amount of time to open the hood of an older sled and pull the plug off the ignition, than it does to drop a tailgate and flop it in the back of the truck.

I made some stickers up for my windshields that put it plain and simple.

Protected by Boomerang tracking

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The Polaris cover idea works wonders. I've had them for both of my last two sleds, and neither of them has ever been stolen.
Some great ideas here, but many of them seem to lean towards overkill.
If it's in the back of the truck I usually just back up close to a wall or another vehicle. If a thief can lift the sled out over the side he deserves the sled. Same thing goes for a trailer. Just back it close enough to the wall that it can't be detached and moved. That and lock on a safety chain.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Any ideas on how to lock a trailer lid down? Right now I just have 3" master locks instead of the stock pins, but those are so easy to cut. I have looked into trailer hitch locks that go through the latch but I dont think any of them would be long enough. Would have to be about 2" long.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Usually when in the UP. We just park the sled in front of the motel, take the key out and call it a night.
That's what insurance is for partly. If someone wants something bad enough, they will find a way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by goldbergrx1@Dec 13 2004, 10:01 PM
you could also take your plugs out over night.................just dont leave a spare next to it :sarcasm:
[snapback]374892[/snapback]​

problem with that one is going to let moisture in the engine

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally posted by nitrosleds@Sep 6 2005, 04:48 PM
problem with that one is going to let moisture in the engine
[snapback]430783[/snapback]​

take a small pair of vice grips with you coat the teeth with rubber or wrap the teth with rubber and then clam it on your pull starter and leave it hang over the seat

fuel shut off valve turn it off that might help

·
Registered
1 Posts
The stupid thing about Polaris sleds is that there is only 5 different keys Polaris uses for there sleds. My key in my 1998 600 rmk will fit in my dads 2006 700 rmk. pretty bad . so i suggest switching out the key ignition in in your sled if its a Polaris .

·
Registered
16 Posts
The stupid thing about Polaris sleds is that there is only 5 different keys Polaris uses for there sleds. My key in my 1998 600 rmk will fit in my dads 2006 700 rmk. pretty bad . so i suggest switching out the key ignition in in your sled if its a Polaris .
[/b]
Quite true about key codes - same thing is true with ford vehicles, although there are more variations. Some of you might know that in most cases a key is not required to start the engine anyway. No-------- I will not explain how that is done.

The post about plugs did bring a thought to mind - it takes very little time to remove good plugs and replace them with " modified plugs " that will not fire. Let the thief pull the rope to his hearts content, eh?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just take an old set of plugs and break off the ground. The cylinders are protected the plugs will
not fire and most people will try and find something easier.
I also employ a mobile patrol. 100 lbs of drooling German Shepard that would likely enjoy the chase.

K

·
0 Posts
most of this stuff won't work other than deterring some joy rider. most real thiefs throw them in the back of a van or pick up and off they go.

Stay at places that have locked areas for sleds, or leave the sled in a well lit, high traffic area.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I guess a good insurance policy with replacement would be the best. I sure as heck wouldn't want the sled back after someone beat the heck out of it! :bash: As for any kind of locks they only stop the people that don't steal. I like the monitor idea. Maybe somebody will develop a weather resistent model for snowmobilers with a motion sensor alarm and baseball rack for next to your bed. :whistling: I think he fell officer!

·
Registered
362 Posts
My sno pro doesn't have a key so I carry a pair of handcuffs. I know, just hear me out. Unlock one cuff and put it through one of the holes on your brake rotor, then lock it back up. Just don't forget to carry a cuff key too. If they really want it bad enough, they are going to get it. Atleast with mine, they have to carry it because the track will not spin.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
like i said earlier,always park in the middle of the pack when you're with a group of riders. :undercover: it's like those little fish that you see on discovery that all swim in one big pack so that only the outside fish get eaten. :hallo1: simple but it makes me feel safe.funny thing is that i haven't told my friends about this so they are always asking me why i always try to pull inbetween them everytime we pull into a restaurant.i just tell them that it is a bad habit. :D

21 - 40 of 66 Posts