Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talked to the dealer today and the service bulletin/recall for the Dragons came out today. It includes a replacement thermostat and a reflash and is applicable to all models of the Dragon 700. Parts will not be available for about a week at least out here in the west and both items are on the same bulletin which means they should be done together even though the reflash will probably be able to be done before the thermos. Check with your dealer.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
I think Newfiebullet already had this done???? Is the bulletin to adress the fuel economy issue?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I had my reflash done two weeks ago, but I'm still waiting on the thermostat.

Polaris is not admitting to fuel economy issues. The reflash was supposed to improve performance and address plug fouling issues that some people expirienced. I never ahd an issue with plug fouling, and haven't noticed any real change in performance, so the reflash did nothing for me. I've yet to notice any change in fuel economy either.

Polaris says the thermostat is being upgraded with a more robust version. I haven't heard of anyone's thermostat failing, so the rumour is that it's really meant to address the tendency of Dragons to run at 110F, and the theory is it will help with fuel economy by getting the computer to kick out of the enrichening mode. I'm not holding my breath.

Last weekend in the very dry conditions we had my sled ran between 165 and 190 the whole weekend (with the exception of running water and brief forays on a power line) and my gas milage actually did go up to just over 12mpg. Whether that's the hotter running temps, the idea conditions with almost no drag, or the fact that I was driving less agressively then usual due to the low snow conditions, is anyone's guess. My guess is it's a combination of the three.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's my understanding that although the reflash was available to Canadian owners the same was not "approved" by the approval police ie EPA until late last week for us US guys. I ride a Dragon RMK and have not experienced the fouling problems either. My temps would run 120-135 with decent snow-- as high as 190 on solid pack before I could dive off into throwable snow so I have not seen the thermostat prob yet either. I am interested in exactly what the reflash was supposed to accomplish. Maybe some energetic wideband guys could run theirs before and after and see.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
It's my understanding that although the reflash was available to Canadian owners the same was not "approved" by the approval police ie EPA until late last week for us US guys. I ride a Dragon RMK and have not experienced the fouling problems either. My temps would run 120-135 with decent snow-- as high as 190 on solid pack before I could dive off into throwable snow so I have not seen the thermostat prob yet either. I am interested in exactly what the reflash was supposed to accomplish. Maybe some energetic wideband guys could run theirs before and after and see.[/b]
You're right, the Reflash I got was for Canadian sleds only.
If you were running at 120-135 in decent snow then yours was a hot one. Mine was typically at 110, but really the optimum should be about 160-170, and even 190 is nothing at all to worry about.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Those are totally different specs to that of the 900. Once you hit 140+F she starts to sound boggy and will start to ruin plugs typically, this entire year, my sled has seldom seen temperatures above 135*F and ran an average probably somewhere around 125*F. Experience shows the ideal running temperature for it is 126*F. At 110*F it's not running well and hardly burning any gas or oil to speak of (amazing to see a sled run on air). Last year, however, the 900 hit 191*F once, the first time it went above 180*F and it ruined a plug almost immediately (the next time I went to start it it was only running on one cyclinder, by the time it was warmed up it wouldn't run at all; replaced plugs never experienced problem again). The plug looked like new without any damage at all... in fact to this date I don't know which one it was. But once I replaced both plugs (with the originals) all was well.

I know the 900 is different from the 700, in fact the 05 900 is a different game from the 06 900 anyway. But the temperatures on your 700 and the mileage you get is way different from mine. Then again, if the outside temperatures/moisture is different, I find that alters the fuel economy more than the engine temperature except for extreme engine temperatures.

I got my best mileage on the 900 when the temperature outdoors was warm, but when I managed to get the engine temperature down as low as possible (if I could get it bellow 135*F I was doing good).

I dunno, it's possible the 9 is due for a tune up anyway :crazy:

Don't get this information mixed up with the current topic though, the 9 is totally different from the 7, I just wanted to make a comparison.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts