Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I look for when I get my 97 ZR 440?? anything that has wear on it. what sort of bearings, or other things to check?? Just want to know what ill probly have to replace when I get it. THNX

·
Registered
448 Posts
Go with the standard stuff. Don't know if you're a sled head or not. If you are than this is redundant. Anyway, check all the idler bearings & wheels, sliders, springs, shocks, clutches (both), get a new belt, new plugs, pull off pipes & look at pistons & cylinders, check carbides, skiis, steering bushings, ya lnow, go through the whole thing!

I have a '97 ZRT800. Between myself & the dealer, the whole sled will have been looked at & rebuilt. It only has 3800 miles, but it's "brand" new for this season! But I'm a little spastic!!!!!! It's much easier & more enjoyable to fix now, than it is at -15!!!!!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thnx, ZRT800. im going up sunday to check er out. ill hopefully get it. but u know as well as i do, that it wont last one hour at my house (garage) w/o me tearing it apart!! LOL. Ill check everything over, probly get the suspension rebuilt, and maybe get some reeds and clutch kit. I also found a 1997 mxz 670 for 2000 bucks (3500 miles), if that ZR turns out to not be so good. but i want to try out a CAT so ill hopefully get it!!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Well I would say zrt800 covered most of it but I'm going to add one thing. I never would have thought of it until after this summer. My sled only has 2yrs and 1400 miles on it and when I had it apart I noticed two of the coolant hoses the layers had seperated and they ballooned out. That would have made a mess if they broke out on the trail.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
OH NO :0: HERE WE GO AGAIN!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well mikadoo, im not gonna COMPLETELY rip it apart like i did w/ my MXZ. my dad helped me put it all back togehter 2nite, i got the airbox in... FINALLY. just waiting for the front suspension now!

·
Registered
442 Posts
if i were you i would definitely get the driveshaft bearings replaced before you ride this winter you never know how many miles are on them or if they are origional or not and if they go on the trail your speedo will go out first and after that your bearings are shot

·
Registered
210 Posts
:) , every one just about pinned it all down except for one thing i always do when lookin at a sled that i'm thinkin of buyin.... do a compression test, to tell the condition of the pistons, rings,etc....also try to look into tops of pistons with the plugs out, just a couple things to do before you load it up onto trailer...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts