Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinging , probably could take any small cc liquid cool sled , register it and insure it ,than drop a big block in it . That way you could have a real sleeper and enjoy cheaper hassel free insurance.Thats what I did in the old days with a 67 chevelle , register it as the original 283 beater and mean while I had a 396 in her ! Looks the way to get what we want without turned down preminens . ;) :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah, that's great to save some money until the time comes for you to have a legitamate claim, and they choose not to pay out or to drop you all together because you are not riding what they were insuring. Either they won't pay you what the sled is actually worth with the mods, or if you hit someone else or if there are doctors bills, they don't pay out. It's a BIG risk that I'm not willing to take!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yup, very bad idea to give an insurance company a reason to not pay. Remember, they have very good lawyers on their staff.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not the same in canada as it is in the u.s. The insurance here in ontario canada are drawing first blood by refusing to insure mxzs, machs, xcs, zrs, srxs and any thing over 600cc . So what do you do ? Drive without insurance? I don't know, I don't think they would notice lets say , a 670 in place of a 500 ? When you talk to the insurance people here in ontario , there not all there at all, I give you an example, they won't insure the machines listed above, but they will insure touring models with the big engines 600-700-800 , so you see how stupid they are. :withstupid:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
It doesnt matter what engine size you have on your sled. As long as the name is Mach you could have a 340 and still not get insured, or pay the same high rates.

They only care about the name of sled and cost of sled period.

THats why i pay 730 (or close) for the Mach and 950(or close) for a 600 rev. And the Mach was 730 since it was new.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got off the phone again with trial smart and they quoted me $423.00 a year for a new 600 rev , but they said no to the 800 cc rev!!For that price you get full coverage with $750.00 deductabile collision. They also said collision is manditory with upto three year old sleds. ???

·
Registered
272 Posts
Can a normal person tell the differnce between the XCR600 block and a Storm (96+) or XCR700 or 800 block? They look the same, differnt color head. - just an idea

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats true ! who and how could they tell what the difference is on most blocks ? :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
You lie to them, they won't pay when the time comes & I think they could sue you for insurance fraud. It's not worth screwing around with them.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Originally posted by ZRT800@Nov 27 2002, 04:41 PM
You lie to them, they won't pay when the time comes & I think they could sue you for insurance fraud. It's not worth screwing around with them.
Right on Zert...ins fraud is a major deal. That's a game I would not want to play.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
i just register mine, i get no insurance. That way no one can gimme hell for it. For me to insure it, 3 years and its paid for!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I guess we need to get Bombedier involved! Have them named "Mom-x" "Grandma-Z" or "Granpa's lil' scooter" ~LOL~

Don't get me started! :angry: Insurance is nothing more than legalized extorsion! :angry:

I've been insured for over 30 years, and claimed just a little under $900 bucks. :angry:

Never figured out what I have paid totally over the years, but I got a feeling I've been SCREWED!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I really feel for you guys in Canada, I just got the bill for my 00 mxz 700- 210.00 for the year, that's full coverage with a $500 dollar deductable.

Some guys down by me when they order sleds,say an mxz 800 they have the dealer put on 500 stickers for fun. So when they race someone not knowing their like what the @#$#. Maybe that would work for insurance.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
I'm an insurance agent in Minnesota and insurance here is fairly inexpensive. Sleds, full coverage with $250 deductibles, are $150-$250/yr. It's usually not a problem to insure performance sleds.

It is a bummer that some have paid more into insurance than what the insurance companies have paid out to them, but you never know when you'll need it. We have some that we've paid out way more than they will ever pay in their entire lifetime.

If you ever hit someone, be happy that you have insurance when your company gets you another sled, goes to court for you, and pays thousands to the party that you hit.

As for cheating the insurance companies, I wouldn't suggest trying it, but that's just me!

LET IT SNOW!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
skimikedoo,
No they are not insuring touring sleds with big engines, my father (turns 70 this year) was refused coverage on a new Pantera 800 by Royal Insurance. He was told they will not insure ANY sled over 699 cc and they also have a black list (they would not tell the actual sleds included) of several sport sleds that are included no matter what the engine size. The strange part is some folks are having no trouble with certain ins. co's while others are being refused coverage, he has no claims.
Rick.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah Troll, I felt the same way (legalized extorsion). That is untill I rode my brand new 02 MXZ-800 off a cliff up near Grand Marais last Feb. Rode that sled all last season and cracked it up on the last ride. Ins. paid everything (sled, tax, prep, etc.) and I lost $70 on the ENTIRE deal. The adjuster even let me take off and keep the track with 192 brand new woodys studs. (there in my REV right now).
My bud dropped his ins. on his 97' Mach I a few yrs. ago(he said it was only worth $3,500 or so and wasn't worth it) That very winter he totaled the sled (the thing looked like someone dropped it out of a plane).
$3,500 doesn't sound like much, untill you don't have it anymore...It was, in reality, the same as throwing $3,500 in the toilet.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I often wonder at the brainiacs they must have working at the insurance companies.

Maybe YOU can tell me why a 600cc sled gets into less trouble than an 800cc sled -- I guess crashing at 100 MPH is safer than crashing at 115 MPH -- huh?

I'll bet the aftermarket companies are behind cheaper rates for 600's and under sized sleds -- take a 600 and mod it to be faster than an 800, and you're all set!

I would also bet that the insurance companies don't measure displacement of crashed sleds very often -- bore out that 600, and you've got a fast/legal sled!

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
don't pull off any tricks you might regret later. like what would happen if they won't insure your home or car because of a fraud you pulled off today.

·
Registered
215 Posts
When my bud went to insure his new bike the insurance guy showed him shapes (they were like pics but were all shaded in black) of diff. bikes. The ins. guy says, "does it look like this?" and held them up like it was some kind of ink-blot test. If the shape was that of a crotch-rocket, the cost was more than double!
The funny thing about it was that the bike he bought was the twin brother to the crotch-rocket (Kawasaki Z something) only his had a more "normal" seat/handelbars (same engine)

My own ins. agent (at AAA) told me me years ago that they wouldn't insure anything over 600cc. I had a 583 at that time. I told her that I just bought a 670 and "what are you gonna do".
Her entire tune changed. "well, since your house and all your trucks are with us i guess we can do it"
Since then thev'e insured two 800cc MXZ's @ about $425 per yr.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts