Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone currently use a gps for trail riding? I have been seriously considering it, I HATE pulling up to a split on the trails shutting the sled off, digging around for a map, then trying to figure that out for 5 minutes. I was wondering if there are maps available for download or does it pick up the area by sattelite?

Can I run my studded sled across my lawn for Aireation??? PLEASE???

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Doo they not have trail signs in Farmington???Most trails here are well signed especially at the splits.
Contact the local clubs and ask them about it

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not to worried about trails in Farmington, But like when we go up north or to Michigan. Its just for places that we are not to familiar with!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Go with the Etrax. It is the best GPS for sledding or atving.  It has all the trails, roads and some restaurants on the maps provided.  I got one for my area in ontario and its got little nowhere roads that i didnt even know exsisted untill i cleared the brush.

Its a good system and its deadly accurate.  I wouldnt recommend driving well only looking at the map but i bet you almost could.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I used a GPS alot last season.  You dont even need a map with that thing.   I think its magellan.com to get maps.  When you get 1, the instructions will have web sites to use.  Yes, they have sled trail downloads.  We set the GPS and left 1 morning not having a clue where we were going.  Got about 5 hours out, ate and followed out GPS track back home.  I guy I rode with last year had 1 and I'm getting one myself this year.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I love my Magellan, but those little E-trex are nice units, and much smaller than most.

Plus they hold your max speed, which can be fun on a lake run, so you can see how fast you actually were going.  I borrowed a buddies last year, and might just have to buy one for myself.

FishHog

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thanks alot people. Now comes the fun part of shopping for one and spending some she money on it!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought one at Sam's Club for $150 after rebate.  Mine is a Magellan 330X with the map send software CD ROM for the United States.  They have one there now, but it has a different CD ROM the topo U.S.  That may work also.

The model does not really matter, as long as you get a mapping unit with good software.  I also have mine mounted on the dashboard ($15 mount made for Magellan), so I don't have to stop and pull it out of my coat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
here in V.T. all the intersections on main trails are gps marked on the vast map.i've got an e-trex and lolve it.this way ther is no guessing when you come to a fork in the trail.gives you  more confidense when you travel in a unknown area.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just bought a 3-D topo map program of all of California. It is truly bitchen. I have been plotting rides for this winter. If you have a pocket computer, you can also plug in a GPS adapter into the pocket computer and see your exact location in 3-D, they got trial downloads at Maptech.com

You have to own a Pocket computer, all of California cost me $100, They only have certain locations in 3-D, I think they have all of the United States on topo. the gps unit cost about $300, When I do buy a pocket pc (looks like a PDA) then I will go for the GPS adapter, I ride a lot out in the wilderness.

·
Registered
78 Posts
One other point.  My unit came with the Map Send software for the U.S. It has all of the roads down to the seldom used forest roads in the U.P.  

I'm looking at getting the Map Send CD ROM for Canada.  It's new this year.  If anyone has a copy and a CD burner on their computer give me a shout!!!  We can split the cost.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am planning on buying one myself this year, I plan to use it for hunting,fishing,and sledding.
Here is one site i was looking at for info on Garmin products.
http://www.gpscentral.ca/
Here you can compare all of the different garmin models.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have the Garmin eTrex Vista, it's a godsend for knowing where you are.  And it has some very cool features including a screen that displays your average speed, distance and max speed reached.  This is great for the occasional top speed lake run, no guessing how far off you speedometer is off.  They are very accurate.  Last season I kept mine in an inside pocket and took it out when I wanted to check location, but for this year I bought a mount so I can have it right in front of me the whole time, I'm just not sure how the LCD will work in the cold.

But I've had somewhat the opposite experience with the software as others in here.  Many of the DNR trails we ride are not mapped in the MapQuest TOPO software that I bought.  Some are, but less than half it seems, so I've used the GPS to mark many of the trails myself.  Regardless of my issues with the software I think they're a must-have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts