Snowmobile World banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have a 600 powder speacial le, have been thinking of switching to a 800 mountain cat, has anyone else done this , any good things, bad things, go with the 144,or the 156, we use the sleds in west yellow stone, big sky, oregon, ect thanks. but it would be ridden some in mn

·
Registered
384 Posts
my neighbor has a mc 800,it does not handle as well as my rmk in the bumps,that is the only draw back ive seen.....lots of power and a fun sled to ride

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 700 rmk is a good sled, but the 800 MC 151"outperformed our 700rmk on highmarking and on the hole shot. the top-end speeds, who cares! :hallo1:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have seen 2 sleds where the jack shaft bearing just disenegrates at about 1000 miles. I would be wary of that, 2 sleds just last season.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Originally posted by djsled@Oct 16 2002, 01:18 AM
the top-end speeds, who cares! :hallo1:
I would have to agree with you about not caring about top speeds. Going fast is fun everynow and then, but it doesn't compare to the fun off the trail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 600 Mountain Cat EFI. Great sled for getting around in the mountains. Depends why you need an 800? I used to ride a 700, But I found that I could go and do just about everything with a 600. But then I only weigh 170 lbs. I can make a my 600 go where my buddies 800 can't. So a lot depends your size and style of riding. However I certainly wouldn't turn down an 800. They are great sleds.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I ride with three guys that went from Cat 6's to 8's and none of them are going back. :thumbsup: There aren't any 6's going where they go either. All of them weigh 170-200#

·
Registered
6 Posts
I switched from a 600mtn cat efi to an '03 800 efi 1m w/ 144 track , I like the machine when it RUNS. However, Ive been plagued with problems. Allow me to explain. 1) the gasloine pick-up valves (smartvalves) in the gastank lockdown on a regular basis causing either the machine to stall or not start. This can be fixed by fishing them out with a wire and releasing the suction. Sometimes you get gasoline on you riding clothes sometimes you dont. 2)I sheared the track driver at the spline where the gear is in the chain case AND the dealer told me that was "good" because if it broke outside of the chain case it wouldnot be covered under warrantee. 3)My stator went away and I had to get towed in for the 3rd time last season.4) I tried to start my machine a couple of weeks ago and it wouldn't start so into the dealer AGAIN. They said they'd replace my smart valves with some up-dated versions. The valves are on back order maybe I'll have my machine back in a month. Thank God there's not snow yet. So this probably sounds like a hard luck story right? Well, there's more. I also bought my son a 2002 600 mtn cat efi and guess what? Ive had almost identical problems with it too!! Multiple smart valve failures, a stator replacement, a couple of fuel pumps, broken skid frame shock (the mounting eyelet CAME OFF and this was not due to rider abuse) and a broken chain. Our 2002 riding season SUCKED because basically our machinee took turns breaking every other weekend. I wrote Arctic Cat and told them I've been an Arctic Cat rider since the early nineties and sent them copies of my SIX Arctic Cat snowmoblie registrations which I currently own. And voiced my dissatifaction about their new products. I never got a reply! So this is my pathetic story about up grading to a new 800mtn cat. If it ran half of the time it would be a good machine. BUT IT DON'T

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys, i contacted my dealer and he found 10 800 efi 144s in the box at the factorey for 5000 ,so now the deal is looking even better. however i have been thinking of long tracking an f7. anyone seen how these work. i have heard bad things about them chiseling in. the 800 is because i weight 215 and my 600 is not up to snuff. i used to drive a zrt 800 and i loved the power of my triple , but not the weight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Son't waste your time with an 800, buy a 900 you will be much more satisfied! After having my 900 I would never go back to an 800.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bought a 03, F7 snopro last year and longtracked it to 151" at the very end of the season. Only made one trip to the mountains but it made a huge difference. I weigh 160# and I could get around easily as well as all my buds shortracks including 2 renegades. Now with the long track kit there is no comparison. I am defiantly happy with the kit.

Now....that being said, If I was to go out and buy a new sled for the mountains, I would buy a sled for the mountain, not take a trail sled and convert it. Buy a 1M, and get a real mountain sled. Wider track, deeper lug, narrower ski stance, etc. My F7 isn't going where a 800 1M is with equal riders, maybe close but not equal.

One thing I do like about the F7, is I have the best rebuildable shocks you can get that you don't get with a mountain machine :(

·
Registered
287 Posts
I myself don't care for Arctic Cat, don't know why but I don't. But I will say that in my area, there is a guy with a 900M mountain cat, 156 track (2003) that will out climb anything. its amazing to watch him. Take it for granted he is a good rider. there is a mountain called area 51. a huge bowl and just straight up for the last 15-20 feet I made it up once in someone else's track on my 01 MM700. Ive seen polaris 151 track, 800 make it up after 3-4 attempts running in there own track. But that 900 went up on fresh, straight to the top. came back down, turned around and did it again in a another fresh track. The guy is buying the new 04 900 mountain cat(i think its called 900M or K). One of the polaris 800 diehards sold there sled this summer and bought his 1 year old 900. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
120 Posts
there is no replacement for displacement :thumbsup: :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Originally posted by need snow@Nov 5 2003, 09:09 AM
there is no replacement for displacement :thumbsup:  :D
Took the words out of my mouth
Anyway if your serious about playing in the deep stuff stop kidding yourself, buy the king kat 161" track and all that 900cc goodness. All your buddies will envy your ride and will only get to see your tail light

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
if u can afford it go with the King Kat 900! You will NEVER get stuck :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts