Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering swithcing from the Doo Synthetic Oil.  The smell makes me want to puke - even the new one.   I read the previous thread about regular Doo oil, and I would consider that.   Thre is another twist.  In an old forum (can't remember if it was this one)  people expressed disbelief that those of us with the new series 3 motors were getting 250-300 miles per quart of oil without problems.   I have 500 miles on my 2000 Grand Touring 600 (hard miles) without any problem.  I am getting 250-300 miles per quart.  I checked with the dealer and he said the pump is set right.   Is it safe to switch to a quality oil?  Snow Tech had a favorable artical about Maxima TundraR.  Very high quality/doesn't stink.  If I recall, the regular Doo oil doesn't stink so bad.  I hate to change when I have had good luck, but this smell is actually inconsiderate to other riders, not to mention myself.     Thoughts?

·
Registered
354 Posts
After using Maxima products on my two- stroke motocrossers and enduro bikes, I went with the Tundra on my sleds for both price and availability. It does smell, but not as bad as some others. Their products are superb! I would not hesitate to suggest using them.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I thought the formula xps oil smells better than the regular doo oil.but that may be just my opinion.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you want somthing that smells good run Klotz, it's also a top performing oil.

·
Registered
311 Posts
A buddy runs the synthetic doo oil and I can't ride behind him, burned my eyes and stunk!  I switched him over to regular Amsoil synthetic injector oil and I can see and breath now!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My local dealer sells Klotz.   If it is good and smells good, maybe I'll try it.   I'll try Tundra in the other sled and see what I like.   Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Give Blue Marble a try it doesn't smoke and it has little to no smell.  It also is biodegradable and non toxic and can help us two stroke guys keep are two strokes for it burns as clean as a four stroke.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I`d  have  to  agree  go  with  the  Klotz  I  run  it  in  my  Mxz  and  my  S  smells  great  and  I  can  get  it  cheaper  than  the  ski-doo  oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BLADEGUY @ Nov. 11 2001, 10:18pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am considering swithcing from the Doo Synthetic Oil.  The smell makes me want to puke - even the new one.   I read the previous thread about regular Doo oil, and I would consider that.   Thre is another twist.  In an old forum (can't remember if it was this one)  people expressed disbelief that those of us with the new series 3 motors were getting 250-300 miles per quart of oil without problems.   I have 500 miles on my 2000 Grand Touring 600 (hard miles) without any problem.  I am getting 250-300 miles per quart.  I checked with the dealer and he said the pump is set right.   Is it safe to switch to a quality oil?  Snow Tech had a favorable artical about Maxima TundraR.  Very high quality/doesn't stink.  If I recall, the regular Doo oil doesn't stink so bad.  I hate to change when I have had good luck, but this smell is actually inconsiderate to other riders, not to mention myself.     Thoughts?[/b][/quote]
You might check out the new information at www.nulubes.com regarding their Blue Marble Oil. They've got more information on sleds now.  I've heard that there is virtually no odor to a light sweet smell.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I use regular Doo oil (with a pinch of antifreeze and a dash of water lately...:p), and I don't think it smells bad at all. I have never had any complaints from people ridig behind me. Bothers me when I'm stuck and breathing hard while trying to pull the sled out, but that is just part of the game.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My God, don't use Blue Marble ! It only flow to 5 degrees above zero, it fouls plugs, it can't take the heat, and it does smoke - I bought a case of it and used it on my lawn equipment (testing) prior to using it on my sleds 1) ran so hot durning the break in period (broke down in 10 minute runs x 3) that when I pulled the plug out to check the piston top (wash) and the spark plug out came the cylinder head threads !!! When I asked Jeff @ nulubes.com he stated that never happen before, gee I ran many, many different oils through that engine without any problems, why this one - you should be able to anwser that one.
I asked Jeff prior to buying the oil what the flow rate (pour pt) would Blue Marble stand behind me if something should happen to my engines or engines - his anwser was no !
Stick with a brand that produces quality products (in this case oil) I never had a problem with Redline, Torco (which Iam using now) Amsoil (racing oil is kind of a over kill inless you really do race) Motul is a good oil if you can ever find it.
If under warranty check  to make sure the oil is the same rating as the OEM oils such as JASO FC and or ISO L EGD, pour pt the same or better and the ash content - ski-doo oil is low ash.
Don't fell for the Blue Marble hype nobody has ever increased fuel mileage or power that has used this oil in snowmobiles that ever posted it on the forums !!!
I believe that ski-doo's oil pump should be one qrt. per 100-120 miles settings - don't adjust just because you seen something on the forums - check it out.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I second that mightymach. The doo syn oil smells so BAD. Everyone refused to ride with me unless i changed oil brands. When i followed my bud who was running the doo syn it left a resin on my contact lenses and made me feel sick. I switched to the shell synthetic and it didnt smell or burn the eyes nearly as bad but they increased the price this year to 37 canuck bucks . I became a amsoil dealer instead and get it for 22 bucks a jug and it smells better than the shell and overall it is a better oil. When switching to synthetic , due to the better flow rate it is sometimes neccessary to turn down the injection pump. Will keep plugs from fouling and exhaust valves from gumming up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I run regular doo oil and it makes my riding gear stink. Does anyone else have this problem? It just smells like bad smelling exhaust.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I find the smell of bomb synthectic oil intoxicating, Plus since I've been running it in my 800 triple I've had no problems, compression good. Raves you could eat off, Why not use it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use Ipone synthetic oil. Smells like strawberries when its burnt. No smoke. I start my sled in the garage no bad smell or smoke problems. The strawberry purfume in it makes it real pleasant. My snowmobiling gloves smell worse.
Its a european company from France. My motor used to run on the Doo stuff and this stuff cleaned the junk the Doo (Castrol) oil left behind. I havent had a failure in ANY 2 stroke motor I have put it in so far. Its made all of them run better.
Its pricey though. I pay $55.00 Canadian for a 4L bottle.
Thier website is http://www.ipone-oil.com/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts