Snowmobile World banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2002 ZL800EFI SS. I'm up to 5400 miles and will be buying a new sled before next season. There is nothing wrong with my ZL, but I want to keep it for my wife and I don't want to rack up any more miles before I hand it off to her. I still want it to be reliable for a few more years. It's been a great sled with zero mechanical problems in the 5 years I have owned it. I take great care of it and it still looks brand new under the hood.
I found a leftover 2006 Crossfire 700 EFI for $6599 out the door today at a dealership. That's tax, registration and everthing. Sounds like a great deal, right? I ride trails mostly, but like to venture off trail a lot and find the fresh powder. Will I be happy going from my ZL800 to the Crossfire 700? I've heard that the Crossfires 700's don't have the top end and my 800 would probably leave it in the dust. I've been very impressed with the power of my 800. It is neck and neck with my buddy's Sabercat, my brother's REV800 and my buddy's Switchback 750 Four Stroke Turbo. Would I be disappointed in the power of the Crossfire 700? Should I look for a leftover '07 Crossfire 800? How would the power of that sled compare to my 800?
How does the Crossfire handle the trails? I've heard others say that it handles the trails great. Just looking for some opinioins from some Crossfire owners. I'm really not impressed with the new F series and I don't like the direction CAT is going. The new sleds just seem cheap to me. I never thought I would say this, but if I don't get a Crossfire, I might jump ship and buy a Yammi or a Poo. Thanks in advance!

·
10,054 Posts
at that price, I wouldnt be afraid to grab one,,,, I wanted an 06 crossfire 700 myself, but I wanted the sno pro and it had to be green,,, I searched all over and found bunches of orange ones, but nobody could come up with a green one for me,,,, had one appeared, I would probably be riding it now.
As for the power and all, you will loose some top end but you will still have all the low end grunt that your used to and you will be able to go places that you had thought you better not before,,, I know I would be happy with the switch if I were going from my f7 to the crossfire 700,,, By the way, what color is the crossfire you looking at?? SnoPro?? Wheres it at??? LOL

·
Registered
119 Posts
Good idea on keeping your sled too, because the dealer wouldent give you what its worth either.

Over all I would say you would be happy making the switch, power wise the C7 and C8 would be the same as your ZR8 motor. I havent rode a crossfire with stock skis, but the one I rode handled 10x better than my firecat and my firecat handles pretty good. It was smoother, tighter, took the bumps better and the riding position is great. Not as rider forward as a rev, but better than a ZR or Firecat and the transition from sitting to standing is easy. Speed wise they are rockets to 90 and will top out in the 105 area, but i'm pretty sure that could be easily fixed. Either on my future crossfire or my buddys were gonna try gearing it up, and i'm positive it would make it fly. Yes, gears are not cheap. They are still in the $180-200 range, but thats cheaper than most clutch kits now and I think would show better results.

And I feel your pain puree, I cant find a green snopro anywhere. And you can only get 07/08 snopros in orange now!? WTF. I'm gonna go to the dealer show comming up, if I like the nightfires enough I might bite the bullet and go that route and throw some green accessories on it.

·
10,054 Posts
I havent seen the new nightfires yet,,, I know I loved the 04 nightfire when they came out,,, liked them so much that I turned my 97 zrt into a nightfire and it really turned out pretty nice. One of a kind for sure,,, LOL I dont mind the orange color, but arctic cat has always been green,,, they say I bleed green, I would hate to have to bleed orange,,, guess I am just old school. If I were to get a new f or xfire, I would get the green standard, then just have it revalved stiffer and order it with the bigger lugged track,,, only thing I would be missing would be the air shocks up front and that can be fixed also,,,,
GOTTA BE GREEN LOL

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
it shows sno pro in black and green also. plus there is a deal about adding sno pro suspension to most f series sleds.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. Sounds like I would be happy with the sled. I stand up a lot when I ride and sounds like making the transition from sitting to standing would be pretty easy. The one I am looking at is orange. I actually just went to the dealer where it was to check it out and even though they said they were going to be open today, they were closed. I was prepared to put some cash down on it to hold it for few days while I made my final decision. I think I'm going to get it. I've heard problems with studding them. Since you have to put longer studs on them, guys are hitting the rear heat exchanger. I also talked to a guy up in Charlevoix this winter at a bar who said his had caught on fire twice. Guess the exhaust was catching the belly pan on fire. Is this a common thing on those?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I bought an 07 CF 800 Sno Pro for 7500.00 plus tax and etc. and plus extras at dealer cost. Roseville arctic dealer was going to match the deal but I was heading down to pickup the sled when they called.

Also this was back in mid Feb when I got mine so the deals may be better now.

Oh it rocks, I think that there has been a few issues but they do seem limited since there is not that internet dicussion about this.

Rich

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys. Sounds like I would be happy with the sled. I stand up a lot when I ride and sounds like making the transition from sitting to standing would be pretty easy. The one I am looking at is orange. I actually just went to the dealer where it was to check it out and even though they said they were going to be open today, they were closed. I was prepared to put some cash down on it to hold it for few days while I made my final decision. I think I'm going to get it. I've heard problems with studding them. Since you have to put longer studs on them, guys are hitting the rear heat exchanger. I also talked to a guy up in Charlevoix this winter at a bar who said his had caught on fire twice. Guess the exhaust was catching the belly pan on fire. Is this a common thing on those?[/b]
are you going to Bob`s ? they have customer service second to none !

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I picked up my orange '06 Crossfire 700 yesterday. Got it at Bob's Arctic Cat in Milan. Great place to deal with. $6599 out the door. They have two left if anyone else is interested. It's gonna be a long summer staring at that thing. Can't wait to ride it. I'm saving the ZL800 SS for my wife. I think she is looking forward to putting on some miles next year, as well.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Get tunnel braces asap

lots of tunnel bending on the Xfire hence the new tunnel design for 08 on the Xfire

any good luck the Xfires are my favorite Cat next to the ZRs of course

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now is it just the mega hard core riders that are bending tunnels or would a normal trail rider who tends to ride hard, but keeps his sled on the ground and not in the air have any issues with this? I mentioned this to my dealer when I bought it and he told me that it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Well, I picked up my orange '06 Crossfire 700 yesterday. Got it at Bob's Arctic Cat in Milan. Great place to deal with. $6599 out the door. They have two left if anyone else is interested. It's gonna be a long summer staring at that thing. Can't wait to ride it. I'm saving the ZL800 SS for my wife. I think she is looking forward to putting on some miles next year, as well.[/b]
PM THEBOYS800 he wants one bad!!! uncle Dave
He lives 21 miles south of Bobs!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Now is it just the mega hard core riders that are bending tunnels or would a normal trail rider who tends to ride hard, but keeps his sled on the ground and not in the air have any issues with this? I mentioned this to my dealer when I bought it and he told me that it shouldn't be an issue.[/b]
Many dealers do not know @#%&

spend the $80 and get the braces

its a piece of mind

or its one sucker bump and a bent tunnel which is lotsa $$$

there is a reason Cat changed tunnel for 08

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the link. For $26, it's good piece of mind. Sounds like a good summer project. Is it pretty obvious where to install them? Looks like I'll be drilling some holes and poppin' some rivets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts