Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALL UPDATED with pic

I just bought it and after an amazing 2 minute ride!! it died.

I just can't believe my luck. After waiting 4 years since i sold my 94 mx 470. I was putting around the fields with a John deer Spitfire, and a yamaha 340 ET cause i love to sled. My girlfriend buys a 2003 MXZ 600 under my advice and she never even had a chance to try it. Just bad luck.

TEST RIDE BEFORE BUYING IT , IT JUST RAN GREAT.

Took it home backed it in the garage and went to bed.

Today we started it drove it outside, shut it off so i could show her the what's what's of the sled, and that's when the trouble began.

I gave a tug on the rope, she started, but would only idle if you give it throttle it would just bog out.

I shut it off and tried it again it ran fine and off i went for that two minute ride when I noticed a vibration, so i shut it off to check the belt (and of course the belt has a worn spot so i replace it with the new one the seller gave to me) When i came to start it again it would only idle, there is also an alarm that sounds! ( it has RER ). The alarm only sounds off after every 5 count Beep..1.2.3.4.5. beep. not like when it's in reveres and beeps steady... beep beep beep....

I am stumped

Disappointed

I feel like i let my girlfriend down.

For what should have been a happy day....this day suxxxxxx.

Zoom

ALL UPDATED

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The tether cord connection to the DESS connection is bad. Check to make sure a dime hasn't found it's way into the cap and clean the post with some alcohol. Sometimes you need to play around with the tether to find the best connection.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The tether cord connection to the DESS connection is bad. Check to make sure a dime hasn't found it's way into the cap and clean the post with some alcohol. Sometimes you need to play around with the tether to find the best connection.[/b]
Wait till she sits on it one time and the little "air horn" goes off :dazed: :lmao: , gets a happy new owner everytime lol

I always twist my teather to make sure it's connected before take off. Seen alot of people just tose there teather in their pocket full of change , in their truck's coin collector is another one:unsure:

mutt

·
Registered
393 Posts
while the sled is ilding look on your gauge to see if the red DESS light is blinking, if it is do like TD says and check the connection

·
Registered
361 Posts
don't let this ruin your day, i agree with everyone else, its the damn cord, just twist it aroudn and play with it!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Like the others said, I also think it could be a bad connection for the DESS thingy. Pretty much the same thing happened here when my friend was going for a test ride on my MXZ. Idled fine but just wouldn't rev over 3000. My friend thought he killed the sparkplugs :)

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Hard to believe but a dime can find it's way into the DESS cap, happened to me!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hard to believe but a dime can find it's way into the DESS cap, happened to me![/b]
Me too! Just yesterday in fact.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The wife used to twist her cord on and off, one day her sled starting doing what yours is doing. I looked in it and found the square piece that was soldered on had broken off. I brought the sled to a dealer and they programmed me a new key in 5 min and all was good.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've never had a dime stick in mine, but I've put in on wrong more than once.. HOPEFULLY that's your problem!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think he got buried in snow ![/b]
Yes ! Yes I am buried in the snow :) 2 feet is what they say.
No word of a lie, I have 1/4 mile of laneway to snow blow. It took me six hours to clean the snow up and make sure I had enough room for the fuel truck to get turned around in the yard. I did a couple hours this morning, and I just finished at 8:30 tonight after work.

I would like to thank everyone for there replies. HAT'S OFF TO YOU thank you.

I can't believe I lost my Saturday because of my D.E.S.S.

I have yet to try it, after the belt let go, and then with the engine acting up I towed it into the garage and started looking for loose wires, or anything else for that matter. I took the belt off and I have to buy some 3/8 steel rode to check the alignment. As far as I can tell the crankshaft is not bent, or any loose motor mounts. Since I bought the sled used I am checking it all over in the comfort of my garage to try and find / fix any problem before I take it out for my next test ride.

With the storm on Sunday and the power outage we had, I found myself to busy to look at the sled. I have not touched it since my last post.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again

Zoom

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OH! Happy day

Well I finally got around to look at the new to my girlfriend sled It was the key after all.

I cleaned it and it runs great no more trouble, I do always have to play with it after every time we come to start it again, just a little wiggle of the DESS key and all is fine.

Before taking it out I decided to give it the once over, all seems fine I believe the belt is out of line thought so I was out Friday looking for some 3/8 bar to check the alignment. Of course it's the holidays so all the metal shops are closed I went to 5 different locations either they were closed or did not have what I was looking for. On my way to the last stop Canadian tire I was evolved in an accident, a young lady making a left turn at a light took it to wide in the snow storm we were having and came directly in my lane. We both could not stop in time and we connected, my left headlight to her right headlight, she got the worst of it ouch!. I have a small dent she only has one headlight now. Her boyfriend jumped out of the car and asked me what I wanted to do, to make a long story short I accepted a 400 dollar check and we did not call the cops for my damage was under a 1000 bucks. I do hope her check clears, fingers crossed.

So Saturday we went to are local Doo dealer to get a spare belt and after asking the owner if he sold any bar he convinced me to bring it in for the alignment, he has the thousand dollar tool that gets it right every time and he said it would only take him 15, 20 minutes so it's booked first thing next Saturday morning.

NOW THE FUN BEGINS YEEE HAHHHHHHH!!!

After riding my old Yamaha 340 for the last two winters getting used to sleds (she loves motorcycles and is a licensed instructor) with no troubles other then maybe getting stuck once or twice. Teresa ( my Girlfriend) got on the new to her 600 MXZ and took off nice and easy and around the field we went, the snow is deep and she has to learn to turn, she is making progress one turn two turns three turns later, LOL all if fun no harm done. The sled does not want to listen to her it just wont make that fourth turn now, not realising she is on a six hundred not a three forty she gives it some gas and ...... well the picture tells the story.

It was an awesome Saturday for us, it was her first ride and she loves it.

OH! YA by the way her boy , who is 6 years old! ( same age I was when I first learned) got to go solo as well. I taped a block of wood to the throttle side and had him ride the 340 alone That boy made me proud, he got the hang of it right away and I clocked his high speed of 8 klm.

What a great day

Thank you all again for your replies.

Zoom

Attachments

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Glad that your thread has a happy ending.

Now you've started something! LOL

Enjoy.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Great news !

Snow4

1 - 17 of 17 Posts