Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a 1.25 track on my 2000 mxz 700, it has 144 studs in it also. I put the track on 2 weeks ago and my sled has not run yet but I have the belt off and tried to rotate the track it was quite hard and there was some squeaking. Well yesterday I went to put a new snowflap on and I had a real good view of the tunnel from the back and I coul see my lugs were touching my tunnel protectors. What can I do? Everybody and their mother told me this track would fit,including the dealer. Are there different size tunnel protectors or what?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I know people that have lowered the rear suspension mounting position.

If you have the black tunnel protectors there are some white ones that are made by HRP and are about 1/4" shorter.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
it should fit,i know a few people with 1.25 on a zx and no problem,and i know one guy with a 1.5 on his zx with no problems...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Before you drill holes in your tunnel,take a trip down to your skidoo dealer,he should have a kit for the upper set of idlers.The kit has two smaller diameter wheels,(also much thicker,and bearings)It use to be 30 to 40 bucks Cnd.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
John Breedon you are talking about the idlers right where the suspension mounts correct?

If you meant the old middle upper idlers those were eliminated after 99 on the zxs.

Id like to learn more about a smaller upper idler kit because I was considering going to a 1 1/4" lug track on my 01 MXZ 800 and I want some good clearance.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Im w/ panteraone, I put a 9818 predator 1.25" track on my 01 MXZ w/ no problem at all.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the black protectors now, I'll have to see what the dealer says. I don't have another set of holes for dropping the suspensiond down, that was on the 99, I'm also thinking it might be the wrinkles in the track from how it was folded.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
how much of the protector is installed?is it all the way to the front if so that is to much.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have a 1.25 track and studs on my 2000 Formula Z 700, I did not have to lower the suspension or change carrier wheels. I have the 1 inch tunnel protectors from Ski-Doo on and they do not go to the whole distance. I still have room to add a 1.5 if needed. Check your suspension bolts, some people liked to lower them for better cornering(not as tippy).

FZ700

·
Registered
354 Posts
Put a 1.25" 9854 on my 01 800 x last week. Studded 1.325 woodys down the middle. Those are studs! Hate to be a groundhog under this machine. Anyhow, I have plenty of clearance as well. Your track is riding correctly (centered)? Probably kinked from shipping. Tighten it down for a week and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I have a 1.25 on my '02 800 with 144 1.325 studs down the middle. I had to drill new holes on the rear mounting point of the skid, 1" down to give added clearance. I am using the 3/4" protectors and without moving the skid the lugs were only about an 1/8" off the protectors. Better safe than sorry.

Brian

·
Registered
524 Posts
Moving the skid is not the correct procedure and can create a dangerous handling sled. If the rear of the skid is dropped, to properly create the correct geometry you must drop the front arm an equal amount. 1/8" of track clearance from tunnel protector is perfectly fine,

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had this problem and all I did was drilled out new holes approx half inch down from the stock position. It worked great! No handling problems at all.
If you do drill it out, make sure you are very accurate. You dont want your skid sitting ####eyed.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Why cant he say coc k eyed?

·
Registered
524 Posts
The table saw trick is the best way Ive found to handle this. You dont need to rip the whole protector, just cut a taper on it.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I should have added, BE EXTRA CAREFULL WHEN CUTTING IT WITH A TABLE SAW AS THE SLICE YOU TAKE OFF IS FAIRLY SHARP AND IF THE SLICE IS THIN, WILL SPLINTER. EYE PROTECTION IS A MUST.
A little extra care and it'll come out mint. :)
Rick.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The track did not look like it would clear while on a stand, I set it on the ground and the weight gave it a little more claerance. I actually got to ride it last night due to the fact we got about 6" of snow. The track wasn't rubbing at all, or did not seem to at least.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
so how did you like the 1.25?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts