·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RX-1 at Eagle River (Hot Laps)
BlueByYou2000 on 1/22/2002 4:56
0 PM
Ready or not, here comes 4 stroke!!!

Guys the mystery RX-1 driver at Eagle River was Bobby Donahue, also my dealer. Heres his impressions of the sled. He told me he has never gone around the track faster even when he ran Formula I and Formula III. The Ski-Doo top guns held there radar on the RX-1 and it showed 109 on the back stretch. Keep in mind how short this track is. This sled had the crowd buzzing and definetely stole the thunder for the weekend. I also talked to Bobbys dad today and he is very impressed with the craftsmanship and overall design, in his words, "its a work of art". The Donahues are very respected in the sledding world, and they have seen alot, and for the RX-1 to get there undisputed praise, speaks volumes. Ill be ordering mine as soon as I decide on a color. One other interesting thing Bobby mentioned was what other manufactuers were saying about it, they were all very impressed, and made the comment that they are behind the 8 ball. Also with the Donahues at Eagle River was Dick Trickle, whom im sure most of you know from NASCAR. Before he raced cars, he was circle tracking with Bobby. His comments on the RX-1 were that whomever engineered the new sled, in particular the front end, did a masterful job. So, i just wanted to share this with those of you sitting on the fence...BBY

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I still think that we should take all of this with a grain of salt. These are not production sleds. The early Vipers ran allot better than the production units. Take a step back, watch and wait. I think that Yam is going the right direction, just don't want to see my friends here on SW get stung by a "ringer".

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hope yamaha is not pining any hopes on dick trickle. They should stay away from him. When is the last race he has one in nascar. If I rember correctly none in winston cup. Hopefully Yamaha puts him in there corner and the rx-1 will be a joke

Duane

I hope you yamaha guys are not putting the cart before the horse.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It seems to me that "brand loyalty" seems to dictate a lot of people's opinions on the RX-1. I like my Cats. I love my triple-triple. I know it is heavier than twins, but that is O K with me. I couldn't take a twin through the twisty-turnies any faster than I do with my triple, but not too many twins (stock) can run through heavy snow and across a lake like I can. That makes me happy. Now with Cat stopping triples, where am I to go? Now that weight isn't a big factor with me, why wouldn't I want the new RX-1. As far as I can tell so far it looks to be an ideal combination. Great power, great looks, decent handling, and longevity due to the 4-stroke. I know it won't replace the twins some of you ride, but it isn't meant to. Also, a lot of you are saying "wait and see-new model", but how many of you have gone out and snow-checked a new Doo or Cat model with many new improvements that were untested? The 4-stroke engine in this sled has been around for some time. Looks like a winning combination to replace my triple-triple, unless Cat comes up with something better, REAL SOON!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Enduringexplorer,
Don't jump off the Cat wagon just yet. According to their website they are releasing the "Hottest Thing On Snow" February 8th. There will be a lot of interesting things coming out from all 4 manufacturers in the next few years.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey, Wink, where do you find out? I signed up for Cats "Inner Circle" to get the hot news, and didn't hear anything. I signed up a second time with a different e-mail address and still nothing. What gives? I would definitely prefer to stay with Cat (you know, that brand loyalty thing-nothing against the other 3 mfgs) but I can't get info and it's time for a new sled. The hottest thing on snow could be something for the sno-pro set, of which I am not. I like speed and power.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hey explorer, the email thing for cat just lets you know before the 8th.  I think they will email you on the 4th.  It is not instant.  Also, how's the 98 ZRT.  I totaled mine last year.  It was a great sled.  It was my first, I bought it used, and it was the envy of a lot of others I rode with.  I too like speed and power, but what was the comment about the sno pro not being for you.  Are you thinking of the 440?  What about an 800 cc or bigger in the sno pro chasis?  Now that's speed and power.  I can't wait to see the new cats.  I am itching to order a new one.  If it turns out that it isn't anything great, I'll be looking for a 900 at the dealers.  

Does anyone know if the mid season 900's come with a 2 year warranty like early order sleds?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey jayjaysin, the thing I meant about the snow-pro wasn't the machine, it was about the riding style. I am 44 today, 240 lbs, and every joint hurts. I just can't push myself in the turns the way some of the younger, more agile guys can. As far as my ZRT, I love it. I used to ride in the early 70's on 399 Panthers, 340 Lynx's, and such. They came out with the first El Tigre and we all thought that was the whip. I stopped riding and just got back into it in '98. I originally went out to get a ZR 600, but it was a new design and they were all gone, so I popped for the triple. When I went to Lake Gogebic in February 1999, the lake was covered with a solid 12" of snow and had drifts 18-24" high. I ran across the lake at 100-105 mph while my brother tried to play catch-up with his ZR 600 at 85 mph. He bought a 2000 ZRT 600 the next year. This is the first sled I have ever ridden that would bring the skis off the ground from a 50 mph roll. I really get a kick out of high speed and fast acceleration. My brother just got a new ZL 600 SS EFI. I rode it and I like it on the trails. It rides very nice and handles well, and it seems a little easier to maneuver. The 800 or 900 might be fine, but the 600 lacked power. It was still loads of fun. After riding that one, I ordered the A.C.T. kit from Royal Distributing. I am supposed to be going to Gaylord this weekend, so we will see how it improves the ride and handling.
    With the triple gone, what are you riding now?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Riding the wife's ZR2K 600.  I'm taking it to Sudbury in two weeks.  I hope I don't mess it up, it's too pretty.  I like riding it too.  It's light and plenty powerful enough for most of my riding, but like you said, it just aint the same on the lake or in the powder.  I'm about to burst with anticipation with the new sleds.  I'm so confused.  I like the triples, but I don't know if  AC will have any next year, and I'm not so sure about the Mach Z.  If I went to a twin, I thought EFI would be the way to go, but I see a lot of posts recently with problems.  And now Yami has the new four stroke, but I don't think I could order something that has so much new without being getting some rider response.  So I'm totally up in the air of what to get.  

1 - 11 of 11 Posts