Snowmobile World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone had bad fuel milage on there 2002 800 sleds last year; then Skidoo says it is one of a couple things. First they say to check that the choke plungers fully close when there off.

They also say if you lean out the jets one size and install a softer compression spring in the secondary clutch it will lower the operating RPM by 500 RPM at trail speeds and improve off-throttle coasting with less engine compression braking.

With these two adjustments they claim the sled should get an easy 10-12 MPG.
;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks Frostbit,

Good info, is that lighter secondary spring you're talking about the black one I've been hearing about as an upgrade?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is! Part #417 126 687.

This spring is already installed on the 2003 sleds. This spring also allows faster upshifts.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I know you guys think I am full of S*@# most of the time but this is very true. A few weeks ago just before I got my fire cat I was out with those new 800ho summits racing around. I had my ZR9 and we all rode the same miles same riding styles and all day I used about 25 dollars in fuel....give or take a couple bucks but the 800 Doo's used around 55 bucks. What is the deal with that?? My 01 summit 800 was never the best on fuel but It wasnt that bad and my MXZ 700 was not bad either. The worst fuel mileage I have gotten from a sled that I owned was my 99 ZR600 EFI....it was a pig but still not as bad as the new 800's. Now Doo tells you guys that its your responsibility to re configure your sled to get any kind of gas mileage. That doesnt sound right or for that matter fair.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would rather spend the extra money in fuel if I had to; before I'd ride a sled other than Skidoo. That's my opinion; I welcome yours.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Question on the 800 ho !!! Did they have the line open for heat to the carb's?? That will drink up a lot of fuel...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Not bashing Ski-doo because I have owned them all but reasonable gas mileage is important when you go on a long haul. You may love your doo and feel cool on it but when you run out of gas 30 miles before the next guy its going to suck. If worse comes to worse I guess one could use the basket on the long tracks to carry extra fuel.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Originally posted by Boondock@Nov 28 2002, 02:15 AM
Question on the 800 ho !!!  Did they have the line open for heat to the carb's?? That will drink up a lot of fuel...
I dont know for sure ......but you would think the owners would and if so flip the switch or whatever they would have to do to save some gas

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Get an RX-1, with the fuel savings, it'll pay for itself. I read that it now is getting 30 mpg's :p :D :blahblah:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Running out of gas does suck! I ran out three times last year. It was common for me to be putting in 10.4-10.5 gallons in @70-73 miles. I can get 100-110 miles a tank but that is just no fun to ride like that. I was not aware that running the heated carbs hurt mpg. Oh the mpem reprogram did not help my mpg.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My renegade 800 last year would get 100 miles to a tank runnin hard, my buddy with a mxz800x same year would burn more fuel than me, with a shorter track and taller gearing? My bro's 01 800 mxzx would get 12-13 mph. I don't know why there all so differen't, but I will try that spring and see what happens. My 800 rev is allready getting 100 miles to a tank with only 300 km's on it so far, so I'm figuring it will be pretty decent on fuel. Not to mention ride quality from another demention!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ski-Doo has an update kit for all the '02 800's. It consists of a set of leaner needles, and a different primary spring. Said to get the milage up to approx. 10-11 mpg. Most customers were barely getting 8. I can get you the p/n's from Ski-Doo if you need them. Good luck,
Rich K.

·
Registered
261 Posts
we found alot of the poor mileage problem was the carb heaters being left on, a bunch of people just turned them on because they figured it does'nt hurt . but actually turn them off until you need them. if your out riding[right away in morning] and the engine is running real rich and wants to foul plugs, turn on the heaters for about 5 minutes and it will be fine then you can turn them off again. alot of the #####ing about fuel mileage was caused by people leaving carb heaters on.

·
Registered
387 Posts
ghost -

i have to agree about the carb heaters... i have a viper with'em --- and when i turned them off i was getting at least 3 mpg MORE!

problem is the user manual says turn the heaters on when riding in temps below 41f (5c) ?? (thats from the REV manual but the Viper is very similar) in otherwords unless your grass draggin have them on!

not sure what gives but i do know turning it off seems to increase mileage-

i guess if your riding in real snowy conditions, breaking trails or following real close... the heaters will have a use... but at real cost in gas mileage.

(and on the REV with a measley 10 gal tank I think we are going to need all the mpg's we can find!)

anyone else find the same??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys, This is actually my first reply to this web site. I have a 02 MXZ800 Adren. RER Gas milage is poor to say the least. Last week I found a dealer that is actually up front about all the updates for this sled. Yes the MPEM needs to be reprogramed, new needles for the carbs, the infamous black spring. The black spring is about 1/2 the length of the original. I have seen these sleds with a yellow spring, purple spring and mine has a white spring.
I know it won't help for MPG but if you have problems with your recoil they should replace it and add a new heat shield to the muffler.
Oh yeah, there was also an adjustment that needed to be done to the needle seat.

Anyone have any more to add.

·
Registered
243 Posts
They are still a pig on fuel compared to the Yamaha SRX. Oh well!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts