Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My polaris 800 Storm has a problem with the throttle when I turn. Can I take off the after market handlebar extender? Or will it mess something up so bad I can't fix it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
My polaris 800 Storm has a problem with the throttle when I turn. Can I take off the after market handlebar extender? Or will it mess something up so bad I can't fix it?[/b]

If you take off the riser, it will get the bars back down to a position that will not stretch the throttle cable. If you do this, you may need to readjust the throttle cables on each carb since it may put them out of sync. You might be able to keep the riser and adjust the cable as well. When it was installed, this issue should have been adressed. When you turn, it should not idle up at all. There's not much you can do to totally mess things up. If you need to know how to do some of this stuff, just ask. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you take off the riser, it will get the bars back down to a position that will not stretch the throttle cable. If you do this, you may need to readjust the throttle cables on each carb since it may put them out of sync. You might be able to keep the riser and adjust the cable as well. When it was installed, this issue should have been adressed. When you turn, it should not idle up at all. There's not much you can do to totally mess things up. If you need to know how to do some of this stuff, just ask. -Polaris Doc[/b]
ok, thank you

·
Registered
61 Posts
are you positive the previous owner didnt add bigger riser ?? I would measure the one on it compaired to the factory stock height..

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
check where the cable goes

you just have to cut the zip ties and be all set

if not you might need cable extensions

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
you can buy a throttle cable extension for 20 bucks or less and leave the riser on it if you want

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well my family has owned 3 polaris's one Artic Cat and one Summit, I checked the two other Polaris's we have, and there is no after market extension. I have encountered another problem though. The lights are dimmed out and the hand warmers do not work. I think they have something to do with the steering again. :slick:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have replaced the bubls in the other two too, they have shorted out and that is not the problem. As for the handwarmers, they are not shot, they are shorted out with the rest of the electricity. After the snowmobile has been running for a substantial amount of time, the lgihts turn on and the handwarmers slowly start to work but they dont put out much heat. =\

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
well take it apart and start rewireing is the only thing i can tell you. it is not the bars that are the problem, it everything else

·
Registered
252 Posts
try changing the switch for your bar warmers. iknow this sounds silly,but on my 93 indy 580 xlt i had the same problem.and that switch seemed to be cause of it.my bars would not heat up hardly at all,when the switch was on the high setting my heallight dimmed big time.i canged that switch and problem solved. as for as your throttle problem i would say that its just a cable thats a little to short and thats an easy fix. let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm, I did test the switch with a Voltohmeter yesterday, it had a full circut connection. It might be a short somewhere. Alot of questions though. When the engine gets warm, the lights come on full bright. It has got me dumbfounded.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
does the sled have a battery, if may need to juice up then it all works. if this is the case a new battery may be a fix

·
Registered
252 Posts
i know the switch thing sounds wierd but it worked on my sled. mine also tested ok,it will definatly be something stupid and easy it usually is lol.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I bought my used '97 Polaris XLT, it accelerated while turning too. The guy I was buying it from (a reseller) opened it up and discovered that someone had put too short a throttle cable on so every time I turned the handlebar, it yanked on the throttle cable, and sent the sled shooting into the turns.

I put on a longer cable and the problem has been fine ever since (about 3 years).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts