Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When adjusting the length of the throttle cables on top of Mikuni VM carbs, should the piston valve go past the top of the carb body on the air intake side; or, should the piston block the uppermost part of the body on the engine side? I know this adjustment was meant for complete closure of venturi at idle but I am not sure how high is to high at wide open throttle.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Flush to the cut away so you don't risk damaging the throttle cable from side pull.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The VM series carb's adjustment nipple and the cable lock on the slide tend to be miss aligned by up to 2 mm causing a slight side ways deflection on the throttle cable. The higher the slide is allowed to raise in it's bore, the higher the side tension on the cable and end bud. Over the long run leads to pre mature cable and lock failure. On the TM series carbs, too much pull can allow the linkage to bind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T Doc,
If the throttle linkage allows: would there be any advantage (more air flow) to opening the throttle so the slide is flush with the top of the carb body on the engine side? Has anyone tried this? Or, could this possibly become a mixture control at near wide open throttle settings?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Actually, there is not much difference from 7/8s throttle to wide open on a dyno with the stock air box in place. The biggest improvement in air flow was the switch to TM smooth bores. The big difference though is in the mid range punch, not the top end. Of course throttle pull is a lot lighter too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree! Once your on the mains, your on the mains. Thanks for the info T Doc. By the way what does a T Doc. do with his thumb? :D

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I agree! Once your on the mains, your on the mains. Thanks for the info T Doc. By the way what does a T Doc. do with his thumb? :D[/b]
To the bar me son, to da bar !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts