Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my throttle thumb gets very sore after a short time of riding my 670 h.o. anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this? my safari 377's throttle is easy to push and i have no problem riding it all day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my throttle thumb gets very sore after a short time of riding my 670 h.o. anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this? my safari 377's throttle is easy to push and i have no problem riding it all day.[/b]
What makes the throttle hard to pull is the springs in the carb. Your safari more than likely has smaller carbs and probably weaker springs.

But there are a couple of other things that you should try. First try buing some cable lube, and not wd-40, it sucks as a lubricant. In a pinch you can use just a regular oil and open your throttle and slowly try to get little drops inside of the throttle cable. Keep putting it on and opening and shutting the throttle. Chances are it will get quite a bit easier to pull. I actually lube my throttle cable every time I grease the sled.

If that doesnt help you may still have a sticking lower cable. Which you would have to pull off the carb to lube.

Otherwise if none of this works you could buy new cables and hope it helps. But there is always the chance that your sled just have tough carbs to pull.

BTW, dont forget about lubing the oil pump cable. Check your to see that you pump is set at factory specs while your at it.

I rode an xcr 600 triple with 38mm carbs for about 7 years. Pulling 3 carb springs that are quite heavy to pull as compared to a smaller carb led to an elephantitis condition in the muscle between my pointer finger and thumb.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My Fusion is injected (no carbs) and it is EXTREMELY hard to push as well. It seems it's only easy when it's past the half-way mark. Every other sled I've driven is easier. Within the first half hour of riding my sled, I thought I had a serious problem. My hand totally cramped up! I had to stop twice to make it home. I had to work my hand a lot to get it loose enough to use the throttle and make it back.

This year, no problems like that at all. Basically, I needed to build those muscles up. Using a sled before that had an easy throttle wasn't building any strength at all. Now it's not as bad, though long rides can still get tiresome. I was going to buy glove inserts (there are inserts you can buy that help squeeze the throttle relieving stress) but this year I noticed less and less fatigue from the throttle, much so that it isn't a serious issue for me anymore.

So exercising your thumb might be the best way to prevent cramping and other problems. You could also try and find the inserts I talked about (good luck, I haven't been able to find them since) and you can also buy over-sized throttle levers which give you more leverage and requires less strength to squeeze your throttle. Also try different hand positions. I found that when my thumb cramped, I placed my finger tips on the bar, and used the palm of my hand to squeeze the throttle until the thumb felt better. Be careful, because you can easily give your sled too much throttle when doing this.

G'luck! :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Make sure your throttle cable isnt cracked or rusty and well lubed. If its in rough shape maybe repalce it. If thats all good, I would excercise. Or you might be able to find a two stage throttle for your sled. If you dont already have it.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
You can cut 3 coils out of the return springs to lighten the throttle pull, The slides are heavy brass and don't need all that spring to return them to idle.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
My thumb still pops from my first day ever on a snowmobile. I learned from the pros not to actually use your thumb but get the space between your thumb and finger on there and basically just use that corner of your palm to push the throttle. So you're actually pushing with your arm more than squeezing with just your thumb and it's a lot easier on your joints.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You might try turning your throttle block slightly. I found a slightly different angle made all the difference for my thumb albeit a ZR, not a Doo.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have found that all of the cats are easier to push than the doo's. My wife has a 500ss rev. My hand gets tired pushing on that thing. My cat is very easy to push. They were both brand new when we bought them. I've been looking for a longer throttle lever, or some safe fix for her, but no luck as of yet.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My thumb still pops from my first day ever on a snowmobile. I learned from the pros not to actually use your thumb but get the space between your thumb and finger on there and basically just use that corner of your palm to push the throttle. So you're actually pushing with your arm more than squeezing with just your thumb and it's a lot easier on your joints.[/b]

thats what I do.

·
Registered
980 Posts
My EFI is extremely easy to pull, but the wife always had a problem with the sx700.
I bought her something called 'throttle-ez' which was an auxiliary finger throttle that would allow 3/4 throttle with her index finger or normal thumb throttle operation. I didn't particularly care for it, but she thought it was great.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
thats what I do.[/b]
Also when you use your palm you can grip the bar better and use your all your fingers to actually do the lever squeezing instead of just the poor ol thumb.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My EFI is extremely easy to pull, but the wife always had a problem with the sx700.
I bought her something called 'throttle-ez' which was an auxiliary finger throttle that would allow 3/4 throttle with her index finger or normal thumb throttle operation. I didn't particularly care for it, but she thought it was great.[/b]
where did you find that throttle ez?

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think I got it from Dennis Kirk about 3 seasons ago. It was either DK or Shade Tree Power sports.
I will look for a catalog and see if they still list it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My thumb still pops from my first day ever on a snowmobile. I learned from the pros not to actually use your thumb but get the space between your thumb and finger on there and basically just use that corner of your palm to push the throttle. So you're actually pushing with your arm more than squeezing with just your thumb and it's a lot easier on your joints.[/b]
Thats kinda funny you mentioned that.. I was out the other day and my thumb was killing me after just a half hour. When i was moving my hand around to reduce the the stress off my thumb i ended up in the same position you mentioned..Wow what a Difference

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It takes a bit to get "conditioned" to the big pull in those big round slide carbs, cheapest and easy way JUST RIDE IT it'll get better trust me

·
Registered
11 Posts
me with my 00 mxz 700 with single stage pull has/had same problem. Cut the coils off, changed the angle of the throttle block, use the palm approach too.

But after I shattered my leg 3 years ago I haven't noticed that anymore. I think it has something to do with my leg giving the never ending throbbing of pain.

Now that I read this I will be thinking about it and it will all come back to me.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I found a pic of the one that I put on her sled,

[attachment=33931:CM_003_18SP.jpg]

It flips up out of the way if you want to use the thumb throttle (pictured).
It was a little to cumbersome for me, but it worked great for cruising.

I found it here, but there were other hits from yahoo

http://www.skidoo-parts.com/viewitem.asp?c...cat=CM-003-18SP

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts