Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a thundercat and will be looking at several this weekend ranging from ''00 to ''02. Are there any major diffrences I should know about. Some years better than others? Is reverse going to hinder performace and weight/hp ratios? Anything else?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Bigdude, I looked into that too.  What I found is that the CDI box in the '01 allowed it to perform much better than the '00, so I would not buy the '00.  The '02 did come w/reverse and SS susp...you have to decide if you want to deal w/those two features.  I was going to get the '01, figuring that I was going to couple the '01's skid and it would be comparable to the SS, for my needs.  Reverse wasn't a big deal to me; I have a drive on/off trailer.

Jim

·
Registered
448 Posts
Consider reverse!!  These are heavy sleds, you will never complain about having reverse!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What I found is that the CDI box in the '01 allowed it to perform much better than the '00, [/b][/quote]
I've seen this mentioned before, is it possible to just switch out the '00 CDI box with a '01 or is there more to it than that?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Switching out the CDi box is no big deal, I put a T-Cat CDI box on my 95 ZRT and there is nothing to it. I used to have the part numbers for the 01 CDI box because from what I was told is the early 01 came with the 00 CDI box but the later ones came with a different one. If I can find the part numbers I will post them. I've had T-Cats since there inception and my opinion is stay away from the 02. The reverse is just a power robbing device. If you can't pull the sled off the trailer or can't turn it around in a tight spot, honestly for safety reasons you should not be riding it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
AKCAT, next question.  Is there really that big of an advantage upgrading an '00 with an '01 CDI Box?  I've seen people mention that an '00 is a dog compared to a '99 etc...  But are we talking about a better percieved feel, or is it quantifiable, like several sled lengths in a 660?

·
Registered
93 Posts
AKCAT

I would have to disagree with staying away from the 02.  I have a 02 and the ride alone from the SS rear is worth it.  You are correct in the reverse adding weight, but with a little work it can be removed.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Hey Big D  the OEM part # for a 2000 T-cat CDI is 3005639
   for a 2001 its 3005770

·
Registered
203 Posts
Atyszka I've never heard that the 00 were dogs compared to the 99. I would have to say it would be the other way around. 99 was the first year of the aluminum bulkhead and new airbox configuration and I know of alot of guys who were having troubles creating the necessary heat in the pipes to make her run. I have had the chance to buy two  99's and am glad I didn't.
Northern Rider, I'm sure the 02's are a great sled, they are a T-Cat.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts