Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 mxz670 and the sled seems to be very tippy compared to other mxz670's I have gone through the front suspension a couple of times and nothing seems to be wrong. Anybody know of any problems or fixes? Widening kit? The best fix is probably a new sled but, that isn't in the financial plan for this year. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I find mine is a bit tippy but not bad..you may not have enough front pressure to the ski's..i kind of get a kick out of the ski lift..but that's me..steve

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
That's one thing I hated on my 93 Formula Plus, I could never keep the skis down to even steer. No matter what I tried they wouldn't stay down.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a 97 670, and yes, the inside ski lift was bad. That chassis was known for its ski lift. It was mostly due to the high amount of weight transfer it had, combined with a high center of gravity. I fixed it as best as I could, with a set of USI Tunnelblade skis (darty, but really rails through a corner), and careful adjustment of the ski pressure, camber angle and toe. I would say you have to play with it until you figure it out. If I remember correctly, I had a couple of extra degrees of camber, a small amount of toe-out and more ski pressure than stock. Your riding position entering a corner was also important, to limit the weight transfer. The increased ski-pressure helped overcome any understeer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the great information sounds like I need to start tweeking the suspension.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Like 670forever said...you could try the limiter strap.

Also, do you have the Bovin rear suspension kit on it yet? That made a HUGE difference to my '97 670! Set up as per their instructions, and is well worth the money.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Yeah...its not so much the front suspension that makes it tippy as the rear. Like the others said, adjust the limiter straps a bit shorter, tighten the ACM nut and put on Boivin's ETS kit. That should get rid of some of the lift. A widening kit will help keep the inside ski down in turns as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
On the 97/670 i had i tightened the limiter straps up,then i backed the ACM nut right off(no more kick back)went 2 clicks on the front shock and had the front ski's on the first click.The sled cornered better and had minimul inside ski lift. ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a 97 MXZand I now have a 99. I agree with everyone above. Below are my recommendations:

1. Shorten up limiter strap very short
2. Tighten up ACM
3. Crank up spring pressure in the rear of rear suspension and front shocks
4. Crank down spring pressure on center shock
5. Install the Boivin kit but don't run the limiter strap as long as they suggest
Note: I did not try the wide front end kit but this may be a better investment than the Boivin kit. They
are close in price! Better yet get both and you will be really set up!
6. Last but not least, you do need to lean on this sled when cornering! When set up as stated above
the sled will still lift the inside ski but it stays quite close to the ground.

Good Luck! The MXZ 670 overall is an excellent sled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts