Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stoped at my local king of ski doos dealer today and asked them about  the recall on the clutch for the trips 600/700 they said that their not a problem with them  same with the bearing going out on the crank He said that most of the pepole that have the bearing go out is from them not puting enough oil in at the start of the season  in the first tank of gas ? is that true ?He also said that the oil pump was the problem with the  pto bearing takeing a crap  yes?no The race manual is also $85 U.S.  that sounds like a lot they also said that the servece /tech bulitens are not offered to the public   yes or no if not where can i get them

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The bearing problems can be related to storage/ season prep. I have had a 600 F3, 700 F3 and have yet to have a bearing failure with my MXZ. Some friends have, and they are the ones to leave the sled outside in the summer and or do not fog the motors when they put them away. You will see that most of these bearings will go right at the begining of the year. Net the 1st time out, but the 3rd or 4th. The bearings dry out, corrode, and wear rapidly with the rust, thus causing the failure.

WHen you store the sled, warm it up, shut the fuel off, and pull the oil pump lever open and it will over oil the motor till the motor runs out of fuel. This should suffice for summer storage, but I put some oil down the plug holes, and plug the carbs and exhaust.

If the motor is ever apart, you can have the cases drilled to allow fuel/oil to flow into the bearing giving extra lubrication.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The clutch recall depends on year and model, the crank bearing is a problem and Bombardier knew it, and the racing handbook is only about $35.00. You can find out about the recall right here at this site. Improper storage and the oil pump settings did cause some failures but not all of them. Other reasons were blown belts damaging the seal, poor clutch maintenance causing excess clutch heat, which damaged the seal and/or the bearing race, and finally the reason Bombardier actually paid for alot of crankshafts and pistons is because some crankshafts failed through no fault of anyone but Bombardier. The crank bearings were inadequately greased at the factory and after some of the 95 FIII's were built, someone got the bright idea that the lube passage wasn't necessary and they quit drilling them. That's when the crank problems began. I had a 97 Mach 1, the only sled I ever owned that had a crank bearing fail and it was determined that the only cause of failure could be, was a manufacturing defect. It was out of warranty by 3 months, but Bombardier paid for the parts and I paid labor, which I thought was fair. They probably won't pay anything now just because the time period has been so long. I just want to get out the message that not all crank bearing failures were the fault of poor maintenance/neglect/or abuse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts