Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hearing pros & cons of lubing drive clutches. Of course the dealer says absolutely and wants to sell you stuff. What does the real world do. I'm running a 99' Formula Z 670 w/ 2000 miles.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I lube everything.  In a snowmobile we can get road salt, Dampness, dirt, and dust its allways good to lube and keep everything fresh.  Oil on metel is like blood in our body it keeps us alive and running right.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Absolutely, positively, NO! NO! lube on the drive clutch!!!!!
You will be in a world of hurt if you doo. If a dealer tells you to lube your drive I would find a new dealer, only a ###### would do such a bad thing!
If you pull your clutches down once a year [both] and give them a good cleaning [soap and water] that is all you should need. From time to time during the season, take a air compressor to the drive clutch to blow out some of the dust.
As far as the secondary, the only lube their is on the jackshaft, use only a TINY amount!

·
Registered
191 Posts
The reason NOT to lube is that dirt gets trapped by the lubricant and makes it stay on the clutch and cause damage.  If its dry, the dirt should fall off.  Does the OEM even make a lubricant for such an application?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Buy yourself a clutch puller,clutch holder and a set of button retainer clips.All can be had for under $125 can. then you can take apart your own in a matter of minutes and clean it yourself.The belt dust is the killer in the long run because it is so abrasive,if you grease the clutch all you are doing is giving it something to stick to.After you learn to take it apart a few times you will be able to do it with your eyes closed,its that simple.Ask anyone on this forum that does it and they will tell you the same.I clean mine every 300 miles or so and i have never had any problems or worn parts.I have 3100 miles on my present clutch and its as tight as it was when new.The ski-doo service manual says no grease needed on clutch.

A

·
0 Posts
You can lube your drive clutch.  Comet makes a dry lube spray and it helps when the clutch bushings get really hot, they don't get as tacky and the sheathes still slide with ease.  You don't have to rebuild as often and it doesn't attract dirt and dust.  The only draw back is it is almost $20 a can.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Back when I use to have a comet clutch I tried comet's dry lube, what a joke! The clutch worn out twice as fast!
With the TRA you need nothing. My last TRA had almost 10,000 on it and hardly any play. The TRA is the best clutch on the market hands down!

Did you know a TRA apply's 45% more belt pressure than any other OEM clutch.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
One more vote for no lube. All the components in the TRA are designed to run lube free.
 During the winter, I tear them down and clean everything about three times. Now during race season, it's once a week for cleaning and inspection.

A

·
0 Posts
Ya, let me tell you about the TRA I had on my 93 Formula Plus.  Better yet, if I still have all the pieces left from the clutch and the hood when it grenaded I will post a pic.  I hope I have them still.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Mikadoo I can understand the 45% more belt pressure.

Last season i was trying to load my friends arctic cat panther 550 on a trailer and instead of moving forward i was burning the belt.  

Also I didnt read the question right.  I was answering your lube or not to lube.  

Everyone is right dont do anything to your clutch but clean it.  But for the rest of your machine lube it.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Machzzzz1, I figured you must have read the post wrong. Going by your posts over the past year, you seem to intelligent to do such a stupid thing....  

1 - 15 of 15 Posts