Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I can with confidence say that the rest of my 75 ski-doo tnt is in a lot better shape than the motor.  I went through the suspension last night.  As a lot of you know the bogie wheel bearings are open ball bearings with a metal cover that has a grease zerk.  Out of 6 total bearings, 0 bad ones.  I was very suprised considering the way these are setup.  Although the grease in the bearings was like water.  Nothing wrong with the suspension at all except i'll probably put in a new shock.  Next stop, the chaincase and clutches.....any advice?

Couple of restoration questions.
1.  The 4 coil springs in the rear suspension, is there a special paint i need to paint them because of how they flex or will a good off the shelf spray paint work?

2.  Does anyone have any pictures of this sled (75 tnt 340 fan)?  Or something similar?

3.  The seat, most vintage sleds need a new seat.  My question is, the seat I have now has a thin piece of treated plywood as a base, is this normal?

4.  The track is in fair shape.  It does have some white stingies hanging around and some dry rott.  Is it safe to burn the white strings off?  And is there any kind of rubber filler I can put into the dry rott cracks?

This restoration is getting to be fun and not too expensive yet.  Although I know this sled isn't as old as a lot of the restored sleds (it also helps it only has 1500 miles) I read about.  And I probably won't go to a lot of the extent that some people do, but my goal is to make it pleasing to look at, reliable to ride, and out of the junk yard.  Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Give me a little more detail on what you sled looks like and i will find you a pic. Is it the RV edition of just the plain TNT ? is it black or yellow ?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
plain old t'nt, the hood is mostly black with yellow decals on the side.  There is orange on the front of the hood also.

·
Registered
875 Posts
the suspension springs will be tired and weak, and I don't suppose any paint will last long if this sled is to ran.  I would buy new springs.  I've seem them listed in the Coffey Distributing Catalog.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Found this one so far ! will look more into it tonight.

As for the springs you could try a flexible plastic paint, they have it at canadian tire. I think its called plastic dip.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks DanR,
Definately a 75, it looks like the first picture.  But the others (especially the engine photo) give good generalizations on how things should look and what i'm missing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts