Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2002 Ski-Doo 500RER MXZ and as this is my first sled as well as being relatively new to riding I was wondering if you fellows could help me get off to a great start.

I would like to know what are the essential tools of the trade I should have on-hand when I am pulling the new toy to snow (this year try Alaska I suppose) or a small kit I should stash away with me in saddle bags when on the trails that can help with the common repairs and adjustments.  Any books on sled repairs and maintenance as well?  Your advice and expertise is welcomed.  Thanks in advance.

Cheers - Bill  

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
brazoo,
 i don't carry any tools except for the tool kit supplied with the sled, my sleds are ready to roll before i go for a ride. now i used to leave my tool pouch in the truck i took when i went riding but not no more. the only time i take tools is on a trip when i will be away for a few days.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Carry on the sled:
1) Duct tape
2) Zip ties
3) Exhaust springs
4) Isopropyl
5) toilet paper ('cause you never know when you gotta go&#33
(also saves on shirt sleeves
)
6)Spare belt
7) Spare set of plugs (or more than one set...)
8) Something to drink...you get pretty dehydrated when riding hard.
9) Tow rope (in case you ever go riding with an arctic cat or polaris...
)

That about covers it for stuff to have on your sled...you could also carry a decent socket/wrench set in the truck. Some guys like to take spare gloves with them, but that depends on conditions. If I missed anything guys..I know you'll add it in!

·
Registered
134 Posts
The tool kit provided with the machine is good enough for any trail side adjustments and minor repairs.  You may want to add a few things to it such as electrical tape "mechanics wire" not Baling wire
....a couple extra nuts and bolts, that sort of thing.  ALWAYS carry a spare belt, spare spark plugs, extra oil and a shot of rope.  If riding alone this list can get really long but at least bring a space blanket, some water, food, fire starter, a cell phone and a change of clothes if you have room.  OH I almost forgot.....you said skidoo.....BRING A MECHANIC!
  just kidding, have fun.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far so good.  Keep them coming.  Tool kit that came with sled?
  Dealer never gave me one and I had no clue that it should have come with one.  What did/does it contrain so I can go back to the SOB
 and make sure I get what I should have in the first place.

Thanks - Braz

·
Registered
416 Posts
Duct Tape, Duct Tape and Duct tape. I have been in a few situations where if I had some duct tape everything would have been just dandy, but noooooo, like a bonehead I never had any and failed to pack any. Trust me I carry some now. Oh yeah basic hand tools should do the trick on the trail. Just keep your sled in top notch condition and you shouldn't have any probs........Duct tape

·
Registered
105 Posts
Brazoo, you said your dealer didn't give you a tool kit? It may be on the sled and you just didn't see it yet. On the new doos it is tucked in between where the belt gaurd latches and the back of the engine compartment (in front of your left knee). then again, you may have a $#itty dealer like I do and they just removed it. It should have the tool to use to change your belt and some wrenches that don't seem to fit any nuts on your sled !

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i forgot the rope i pack, i am glad rocketman mentioned it. one thing that i take is an old coat, gloves and boots for loading and unloading so that i don't get my riding apparel all covered what happens during that time.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Braz,all new doos come with that tool kit.It is in a rectangular black box right where MXZ4ME said.I always carry a small flashlight(maglight).Use rechargable Ni-Cad batteries,they hold up better in the cold.Regular batteries die in the cold.

Paul,you forgot to tell Braz about entering in his location.You are slippin man.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
mxz7,
 i was just testing you to see if you noticed, he'll get the picture now and enter his location unless he is running from the law.

ps. did you see barnacle wheeler is back online ?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
On the sled i only have the supplied tool kit and a rope.  Back at the truck I keep a half decent socket set.  But If you need more then a socket set then you probably shouldnt be working on it during a trip.  Wait till your back at home.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
just remember no matter how many parts or tools you bring  it never seems enough,   ha, ha ,  it not that bad  good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Location, Location, Location.  Sorry about that guys.  These are some great tips.  I will have to go back out and look at the sled to see if I missed the tool bag if you will.  

How about basic tune-up type of how to books on the Doo's.  Since winter is basicially over and never really started I should think about getting it ready for storage which sucks.  

I am finding this board so valuable and appreciate your responses.

Cheers - Braz  

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I never go riding without my letherman multi tool.That little thing has paid for itself several times over.Also it doesn't hurt that me and my riding bud are mechanics.

·
Registered
337 Posts
welcome aboard braz - the guys covered everything here.  one thing I can suggest is a small snowmobile emergency kit - made by a company called Justin Case - has everything you need for minor first aid problems and can help you survive a night in the bush if you break down - could save your life.

Also a good knife - I have had to dig out a belt or two before a knife was a Godsend.

i would also suggest buying the shop manual for your machine - about 30 bucks CDN, probably 20 US - It will be a huge help to do your own repairs, and also guide you through proper storage.

Good luck.  If you ever have questions, post them up here - a lot of guys on here know a LOT of stuff.

cheers

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
A knife! yeah I forgot to mention the Leatherman I never leave home without! Good point z800rtx

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So any idea where I can get a cheap shop manual for the sled?  I checked on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.com but they only go through model year 1995.  Thanks again guys

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Just buy the one at the dealer.  I dont think you will find one for any other sled.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I carry an extra belt but it is the old one.  I heard the heat cuts down on the life of the new one anyone heard that before.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts