Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 mach1 w/reverse and was wondering what the top speed should be? I'm getting around 96-97mph but I feel that I should be getting more. stock settings, stock jets,except for oil pump is  turned up and I have a 1 1/4" paddle track on it. could someone throw some suggestions at me on why it goes the speed it does and what I can do to speed it up without  spending alot of money.
The sliders need replacing and I was wondering on how big of a job it is, as I have not changed sliders before?Roughly how long does it take? How do you set up the suspension to catwalk? I realize I have asked alot here, please take a few mins to help a rookie

·
Registered
858 Posts
Catwalk is a near vertical wheelie, usualy done at the top of small hills. My mxz does it all the time since I put on a paddletrack. Every combination of suspension seem to work for me. To replace the slides, I would suggest to get the whole suspension out so you can check if anything else needs to be changed like Idler wheel bearings. There are 6 bolts to get the skid out, just loose the track as much as possible and pull the whole thing out (it can be quite the struggle the first time
To get the slides out, unscrew the bolt holding it and pull, if it doesn't come right away, tap it with a hammer. To put the new one on, spray some WD-40 on the slides so they will slide in easily. When your done, put the front bolts on first and the rear ones last. To center the holes of the rear, you may want to strap your susp. and squeeze it abit or you can put a broom stick in the track and turn the track until the stick is between the rear Idler wheels and the track, this also squeezes the susp. It should take 1 hr to change slides.

·
Registered
100 Posts
you're right the top end should be better on that sled.check clutches and alignment,sync carbs,track tension as loose as you can go without ratcheting.also remember you are running an 1.25 track, this will rob you of a few mph compared to the .85 stock track.

·
Registered
165 Posts
How are you verifying your speed (i.e. radar, gps, speedo)?  Also, what type of conditions are you riding in?  Do your riding conditions warrant a 1.25 paddle track? I will agree that the paddle track is definately robbing you of some mph.  Keeping the track in mind, start with some simple things...clutch and engine alignment, RAVE valves, etc.  

"Catwalking" your sled is all about weight transfer and traction.  You have to get as much weight to the track as possible...play with your limiter strap.  That being said, remember that any power used to pull up the front of the sled is power that isn't being used to accelerate.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
393 Posts
i had a 97 mach 1 and i had to clean the raves every 300-400 miles. i had a .88 inch lug track on it with 192 studs. i`ve ran it in several radar runs. 660'-88 mph, 1000'-104. the longest radar run i made with it was around 2000' hit 111 mph on radar

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Yes you should be getting more top end. You have 2 things against you reverse, ( adds more inefficentcy to the drive system). RER doesnt. The paddle takes a bit away from top end,(maybe 5mph tops) but i find the pros heavily outweighs the con. Check track tension make sure it isnt too tight, (will burn out sliders prematurely and reduce top speed) Make sure clutches are clean. Grease everything and a good belt to boot.Not sure what oil you are running but change to a synthetic,(i run amsoil)and turn your pump down a bit,(doo it at the dealer). My 97 mach1 would doo just under 200 kms/hr day in and day out even with 2 people on board. I had the stock 1" track that disenegrated, ( warranty).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts