Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how fast do you think my 97 zl 440 liquid will go. it is completley stock. i havent ridden it yet, so im not quite sure, but the guy i bought it off of said it will go about 90mph. does that sound about right?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Originally posted by troy@Nov 18 2002, 01:26 AM
how fast do you think my 97 zl 440 liquid will go. it is completley stock. i havent ridden it yet, so im not quite sure, but the guy i bought it off of said it will go about 90mph. does that sound about right?
85mph tops

Friend had the 97 and 98 ZL440

My Indy 500 was a touch faster

·
Registered
959 Posts
thats about right i know the sno-pros go about that and they are pretty much the same sled

·
Registered
533 Posts
My woman drives a stock 98 ZR440, and she can get about 95 - 98mph. I know this cause I get beside her and sure enough, she is moving.

If I give her a 2 sec head start, I can't catch her on my zr600, unless I am on a really long lake. Those 440's can really move if properly tuned and jetted. Put a clutch and pipe kit on it and they can keep up to the 600's.

Her brother has an 97 Indy 500 and she can easily take him, in fact she can also take my brothers 99 ZL500.

Great engine!

just my 2c

newf

·
Registered
442 Posts
how many times are you going to ask this question??

well anyway like i said before i had the same sled and in good conditions i could regularly get it over 90 mph on the speedo and for not as favorable conditions look for around 80-85

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
newf and Team_Arctic remember this is not a ZR 440 with case reed 90+hp engine :angry:

It is a piston port 440 rated by Cat at 68hp :p

Zl 440s have piston port 440 LC 68hp engines and have nowhere near the power of a ZR 440 case reed :doh:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, zr580, the question was back about 3 pages, so i put it in the front so i could get some more responses. by the way, i took it out a couple days ago, and man does it fly. its like the skis never want to touch the ground! it was well worth 1200 bucks!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Thats weird you guys posting a topic about that 97 zl 440, i was GOING to buy one tonite, but only being 68hp, I THINK NOT. The dealer has got a 2001 PRO X 600 that im thinking of buying..... finance of course.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the missus' '97 Panther 440 FAN up to 78 mph on the lake with a tailwind. Of course I was squeezing the juice out of the handlebar. :p

·
Registered
708 Posts
IMO I do think the zl440 could do 90! the wife may only be around 100lbs maybe even less! that alone would give a slight advantage for speed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, im only 16, so i cant really afford anything too big, so its just fine for now.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
They are great sleds and the 97 ZL 440 is the best looking cat IMO

The ZL 440s are really good on gas and handle great:)

Cat4life the ZL has the exact same engine as your Cougar plus your Cougar is lighter :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts