Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock track on my 98 mxz 670 has one or two tearouts. The tear length on each is about one inch and does not go to the edge of the track and is from the stud hole moving out. Should I be concerned and start looking for a new/used track? Would putting a new stud in and cranking down the nut to the backer stabilize the tear? I am pretty sure that one of the holes was present before last season. Have put on 1,500 miles since.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I've ridden on tracks with "pull outs". If they are on an outside belt I'd plan on replacing it as soon as I was able. In other words, if I noticed it in late Feb, I would likely finish out the season on it while checking it frequently. Center of track is a different story. Both myself and several friends have several thousand miles on tracks with holes there. I say this with the understanding that the hole is not near the edge, and we are talking about the average trail machine. Someone riding a high performance machine aggressively needs to make sure they have their machine at 100% all the time. I would hesitate to run a track like we are talking about here under a machine like that.

I would not make any attmpt at installing another stud there, it's only going to stress an area of the track that you don't want to.

I'm only going to "mention" that we have gone over to round plastic backers and have not had a "pull through" since.

AL

·
Registered
532 Posts

all I have to add is you might want to burn the threads of the pull out.  You can doo it with a small lighter or a little ( stress on LITTLE ) torch.  This will keep the threads form catching on things on the ground and pulling and tearing more on the hole.

Don't worry about the pull throughs.....just yet  

1 - 3 of 3 Posts