Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing these torque links on some grass dragers this summer I thought this is quite an important item to keep the engine in perfect alignment at all times.
MBRP was the only co. I found that made them and they want $130.00 + $25.00 shipping! TOTALLY out of line at that price!
So I go to the junk yard and pick up a tie rod for $5.00 and make my own.
Even though Skidoo has a rubber stopper on the back of the engine it is not nearly enough. I'am here to tell ya boys, this little link is worth it's weight in gold! I took the Mach out in 1" of snow for a little test and there is some major power going to the ground!
Ever hammer your sled on the jack stand and see how much the motor moves? Well just imajine with some bite what is happening.
So now my question is, what is going to be my pay back for doing this?
Such as; is it going to snap off the 2 head bolts it's mounted on, is it going to create a harmonics problem, is it going to crack a head or cylinder?
Has anyone done this to a trail sled with any problems? Thanks, Mikadoo

·
Registered
272 Posts
would'nt it be nice if we could run solid mounts and still hang on to the bars? i made one for my 96 z asphalter and yes it definetly helps keep the clutches where you put them, no damage that i can see, good luck

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was wondering the same thing when i have my sled on a jack stand and gun it the motor moves alot bot i was thinking of making a torque rod that connects to the bottom end right by the clutch there are two threaded holes there do you think it would work iam dont like the idea of putting all that force on the top of the motor.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Originally posted by Mikadoo@Dec 1 2002, 01:38 AM
After seeing these torque links on some grass dragers this summer I thought this is quite an important item to keep the engine in perfect alignment at all times.
MBRP was the only co. I found that made them and they want $130.00 + $25.00 shipping! TOTALLY out of line at that price!
So I go to the junk yard and pick up a tie rod for $5.00 and make my own.
Even though Skidoo has a rubber stopper on the back of the engine it is not nearly enough. I'am here to tell ya boys, this little link is worth it's weight in gold! I took the Mach out in 1" of snow for a little test and there is some major power going to the ground!
Ever hammer your sled on the jack stand and see how much the motor moves? Well just imajine with some bite what is happening.
So now my question is, what is going to be my pay back for doing this?
Such as; is it going to snap off the 2 head bolts it's mounted on, is it going to create a harmonics problem, is it going to crack a head or cylinder?
Has anyone done this to a trail sled with any problems? Thanks, Mikadoo
Mikadoo,
I have the MBRP torque link on my 01 Mach. It mounts to 3 bolts I think? I will take a pic for you.. It keeps the clutches aligned and I have had no problems with mine.

Evel
P.S. Did you re-jet for the can or leave it stock??

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mach1, the top of the motor is where they mount, usually 2-3 of the head bolts. With it mounted up high it takes less force to hold it in place, like using a long pry bar on something, makes lifting easier.

Evel, I seen they pic but thought the price was a bit much so I made my own for $5.00.
Actually I jetted down 1 for now. I was running plenty rich last year and by the article it could have been jetted down 1 also.
How many miles with the link on?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
the mbrp bolts to 3 studs... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Barry, sorry no camera. It's basically a turn buckle with eye-lets on each end instead of hooks. On the CK-3 chassie there is a bolt coming thru behind the shock, it lines up perfect with the head. Just bolt one end to that [make a bushing so it will move] and cut a piece of 1 1/4 angle iron about 4" long and bolt it to the top of the head [2 bolts].
Time will tell if the 3/8 thread is strong enough to handle the torque.
My buddy is going to use a snowmobile tie rod end and cut it down to size for his.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mikadoo,

It has been a while, as for the MBRP torque rod, I have one on my MachZ. It is working very well. I have done my own with a suspension rod with two tie rods at both ends. This way you can adjust the rod as needed, The only major problem with it that I had was that it broke the mtg. plate that I had done, several times. This was very dangerous because one time a small piece of that plate dropped in the primary clutch. I was very lucky because I had the time to stop once I heard the noise. Seeing this I contacted MBRP and asked them to send me the original mtg bracket. This bracket is bolted with three botls on top on the motor and it is well constructed. Sells for about $25.00 CAN. Since I have installed the new bracket I had no problems. I have seen some top end difference and the clutches are always aligned everytime I check them out. I will take a picture of my rod today and post it. Hope this will help you and all of the other guys concern.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rick,
I have had mine on for over a year also with no problems. It is taking a beating and getting a little worn but for 5 bucks a I can replace it anytime.
You would think that Doo would put stiffer rubber mounts in but if they did everything right we wouldn't have anything to doo.

I have a camera now if some of you want an idea what my homemade set up is.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got a couple pics here...............

Attachments

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[attachmentid=17554]Old steering rods work great. Mine is a turn buckle from the hardware.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts