Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if you guys could help me out. Where can I get a torque wrench at a decent price?
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Craftsman makes a good micrometer type. I have both their 3/8" & 1/2" drive wrenches. I took them into work and the guys checked the calibration, they were right on. Not sure what the T/Ws NAPA, AutoZone or Pep Boys sell are like. Maybe some of the US riders can help you there.

Husky by Home Depot is another brand.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would try UAP/NAPA  I worked in a garage for three winter's & obviously Snap-On is the best but also the most $$$!  A torque wrench is on my tool wish list for this spring & I'll be going to UAP/NAPA.  They have good quality for reasonable $$, that's where I bought all my air tools from & I'm very pleased!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Canadian tire !!! Oh wait a minute, you wouldn't happen to have an american tire store would you  

·
Registered
530 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (revrnd @ Mar. 27, 2002, 4:11pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Craftsman makes a good micrometer type. I have both their 3/8" & 1/2" drive wrenches. I took them into work and the guys checked the calibration, they were right on. Not sure what the T/Ws NAPA, AutoZone or Pep Boys sell are like. Maybe some of the US riders can help you there.

Husky by Home Depot is another brand.[/b][/quote]
I would try the Craftsman, they have great quality.  If you ever break it, bring it back and you get a new one.  Plus the price is pretty good.  Just go to your local Sears store, or visit their webpage.  Good Luck.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i'm glad i bought a torque wrench, it's helped me out of a few jams. one day my son was griping his motorcycle had a leaky head and fixed that up.

·
Registered
428 Posts
IMO snap-on ones are the best and also the most expensive. For quality/price i'd go with craftsman their tools are pretty good quality wise. One thing to remember is that you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bought a craftsman 1/2", 9 years ago when in college. Now I have 1/4 and 3/8 snap on + my old craftsman. I use them everyday and have compaired my 1/2 with snap on, after all the years it is just as accurate. I even had my 1/2 tested a year ago, it came back 2 ft-lbs low, but was consistant, that's the key.

·
Registered
49 Posts
One of the best deals around, if you find them, is a CDI CompuTorq or an Armstrong. These are an extremely high quality digital torque wrench (accurate within 1%. SnapOn is 4%) that sell new in the $800 - $2800 range. I recently bought a 3/8" drive off eBay for $23 USD. I just saw a 3/4" drive with PC hookup sell for under $200 USD. Not many people have heard of the wrenches, and quite frankly, they look terrible, but they are second to none.

Rod

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by 02MXZ600@Mar 28 2002, 12:25 AM
I would try the Craftsman, they have great quality.  If you ever break it, bring it back and you get a new one.  Plus the price is pretty good.  Just go to your local Sears store, or visit their webpage.  Good Luck.
I bought a Craftsman 1/2" torque wrench back in high school.
That was 29 years ago.

As with my 3/8" & 1/2" ratchet sets, the gears wore out.
When I return them to Sears under waranty, they give me a replacement kit that consists of all of the components inside the head. They've never given me a new wrench. NEVER! That's never been a probelem untill my torque wrench wore out.
When I took it back to Sears, they gave me the usual replacement kit.
The problem started when the kit they gave me wouldn't fit in the head.
I took it back and they insisted that was the correct kit for my wrench. They wouldn't give me another kit and wouldn't replace the torque wrench.
I mentioned this to the local hardware store owner that also operates a Sears Outlet store. He ordered in 2 different kits and tried installing them in my wrench.
They wouldn't work. He contacted their head office and was told, "Too bad for me."
I've had no problems with my other ratchet sets from Sears. (1/4" 3/8" & 1/2" sets.) However, since the way they wrote me off, I won't buy another Sears hand tool.

The good news is that a couple years ago, Home Depot had a Husky Tools Promotion where you could bring in any other make of wrench or ratchet tool and they would give you a comparable Husky brand tool for free. I LOVE MY NEW 0 TO 250 LB 1/2" DRIVE TORQUE WRENCH. LOL. It's awesome.

I would also stay away from any type of "beam torque wrench" just because they're awkward to work with. You're not always working in a position where you can read the dial to get an accurate torque reading.

Just my experience and 2 cents Cdn. worth.

Jeff

·
Registered
677 Posts
I just bought one at Royal Distributing for a good price. The 1/2 inch drive one is on sale for $30.00 Canadian.

·
10,054 Posts
I bought mine (craftman) at Sears over 10 years ago and have never had a problem with it. I have had a few craftsman pieces break and I simply went back to Sears for a replacement,,, I had a socket crack on me when I was on a trip to Florida, and I didnt have to wait till I got home, I hit a Sears down there and they replaced it,,,,,

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Leave it to Paul to dig up a 14 month old thread. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Originally posted by Wolfman@Apr 3 2004, 10:02 PM
Leave it to Paul to dig up a 14 month old thread. :D
Yeesh, didn't even notice the date. Hey YellowBelly, you ever find a torque wrench? :dazed:

Rod

1 - 17 of 17 Posts