Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a low mileage, (500 miles), '02 ZR 800 rear skid in my '97 T-cat a couple years ago and I just removed it to grease or replace bearings and check things over.
I got the corect mounting hole locations from the donor sled so I know they're correct.

I found that the upper carrier wheels are rubbing on the coiled area of the torsion springs enough that they rubbed a groove in the springs. The wheel hubs are obviousely worn quite a bit too.

I researched the spring dimensions and found they are correct for this suspension.
My front spring guide blocks are aluminum Lenco's and the adjusting blocks are aluminum Black Magic, so there is no problem with these.

It looks like when its under tension the coiled springs are cocking up and over towards the wheels just enough to rub.

The stock plastic sleeves that go inside the springs are in place, but to me seem like they are too small in diameter, (O.D.) , thus letting the springs angle up under tension.

I'm trying to find some schedule 80 1-1/4" pvc pipe, or something with a 1" inside diameter to fit snugly over the suspension arm shaft, but with a larger outside diameter to prevent the coils from cocking.

I put a piece of scedule 40 1" pvc pipe on it, but its smaller O.D. than the stock plastic sleeve.
I put a piece of industrial hose over the 1" pipe to try and increase the O.D. but its a little too big O.D. and I'm afraid it will cause coil bind under tension.

Anyone have any words of wisdom what can be done?
I posted pics but don't know if they uploaded.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
the reason for the smaller O.D. is for when the spring goes through it cycle

Maybe your bearing is pressed in too far thus rubbing the spring(just a thought

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts