Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LadyK & I have passed some ideas on to Alscool about packing for a touring trip. Does anyone have any tips to pass along?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
On a long trip i always carry a backpack with a first aid kit in it always, and a flashlight.  And i always have my cellphone, spare belt, plugs, small tool kit, lots of nuts and bolts of all different sizes, oil, and a piece of rope (some of buddys ride cats
). And if there is room after my food and utensiles go in i take the camcorder.
Oh yea and if its going to be an all nighter dont forget to take a guy with a touring sled to carry all the beer

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Add to what jwheeler said: Zip ties and a Leatherman Multi-Tool

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Rocketman i got a Gerber Multi tool in my kit, but i dont have duct tape though, that could come in handy.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
oh yeah...and if its a real long trip...extra exhaust springs

BTW...Leatherman kicks Gerber's butt

Last edited by Rocketman at June 06, 2002, 8:51pm

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speaking of duct tape, any of the US guys know where to find the flat stuff that Manco is selling. The folks have checked Wal-Mart & Home Depot when they've been over there, but haven't found it. It takes up less space than a roll.

ARCTICZRT600, we checked out a Pep Boys on Southfield just east of Fort St. when we were passing thru to MIS last year. If we're in the area next week, do we have to be on the lookout for maniac on a AC?

How 'bout a couple of cubes of Stop Leak for the LC sleds?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
If you're riding a Polaris, all you need is oil and underwear!

Ok, seriously, my experience is that the tendency is to way over pack. I know, it's nice to be prepared, but we are on machines that are trusted, right? Not out for the first ride of the season, or a brand new sled, right? You Canadian folks, or anyone I guess, that are going out into wilderness areas, I guess then maybe I would pack a little heavier. Here in Michigan, there aren't many places that you can be that are more than an hours ride (or tow) from a town (and help).

I pack:
Tow rope (even on a Polaris)
Tie wraps
Phone (usually won't work when I need it)
Duct tape
Jack knife
Baling wire (makes great exhaust spring substitute)
Standard factory tool kit, plus small pair vise grips
Small first aid kit

Just my 2c,
AL

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're looking to buy 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, go to Wal-Mart or Loblaws (here in Canada) They sell 500 ml for less than 3 bucks. Cheaper than buying the stuff @ Canadian Tire. Besides there you don't know the percentage  

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I agree with Michahicks.  

When i go for a long trip all I dont take anything other then what is provided with a sled.

Tool Kit, Spare Belt, Sparkplugs.  

To tell you the truth i never needed anything except the spare belt.  

As for the gerber or leatherman, i dont think i need them.  Bombardier has supplied wrenches for every type of bolt they used.  Also a small set of pliers.  (Face it, if you cant fix it with the tool kit bombardier supplied you probably cant fix it on the trails anyway.)

I also pack extra oil in the truck.  

Tip.. For those of you driving the S-Chassie Bombardier or any sled with one light bulb it would be wise to have a spare somewhere on board.  (Know from experience.)  

And never go on big trips alone.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And never go on big trips alone.[/b][/quote]

Amen for that, the best thing you can have is another person, all the gear won't help you if you wrapped your sled around a tree and need a ride home.  Always drive safely, weither it be a short ride to a friends place, or a cross-country marathon, ride to your capacity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts