Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 mxz 670 with an EPI clutch kit and the gearing is changed to a 42tooth bottom. My secondary clutch pull is 19lbs average which is where it should be I believe and I was wondering when the clutch should engage? I know it should be a higher RPM now. Right now it is engaging around 5000 rpm. Is that where it should be or is that pretty high? Thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
852 Posts
well the gearing and pull dont effect engagement and depending on the primary spring and ramp the clutch tuner used anything is possible. i would contact them. is there something you dont like? i had a fairly quick 670...it engaged at 3800. really it depends on the set up theres a billion different variables.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
What weight are the pins that came with the kit?. What clicker setting are you running? How is your belt tension?.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
What weight are the pins that came with the kit?. What clicker setting are you running? How is your belt tension?.[/b]
doc the epi kits I have seen for the 670 do not have pins. just springs and helix.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
doc the epi kits I have seen for the 670 do not have pins. just springs and helix.[/b]
Not much of a kit if you can't fine tune the pin weights. The Goodwin kits have even GP3 (286)ramps included.

·
4,440 Posts
Not much of a kit if you can't fine tune the pin weights. The Goodwin kits have even GP3 (286)ramps included.[/b]
agreed that is why I do not like them myself. I made a call to the fellow that has the 670 and he told me 4800 was his engagement rpm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are correct there are no pins, the clickers are in the stock position which is 2 I believe. No there is nothing I dont like I would maybe like it to engage a little sooner I was just wondering if this was normal or not. Or if there is something wrong with this picture I have never clutched a sled before and it kinda scared me.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Remove the primary clutch and check all the sliding surfaces for mechanical binding. Also verify that the spring seat (washer) is in correctly and not upside down. 5000 rpm launch will cause some large trenches in the powder.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just went to check belt deflection and it is about exactly at 1 1/4 which is what spec is at. When putting the clutch together I noticed no binding of any kind and checked it over many times to be certain. I am quite certain the washer is not in upside down but will check and recheck everything inside the clutch.

·
Registered
149 Posts
the clickers wont have any affect on engagement RPM, only top rpm. what primary spring are you runnin in there?

·
4,440 Posts
does the primary build up heat on hard pulls?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts