Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone use this clutch kit, i really want one and this is one that i can get when i go to royal distributing for the sale.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Check with one of their experienced counter guys or check with the manufacturer if they can be installed without machining your clutch. I remember going to buy one as well at Royal but I can't remember which sled it was for but the counter guy told me that this kit required machining the clutch in order to make enough clearance for the arms or some other part.
Sorry for the confusing post but some of the inexperienced counter staff they sometimes have there, I'd hate to see you buy it and find out after it's too late.

For that kind of money, have you considered buying a Dynamo Joe or a Bill Cudney ckutch kit?
They're well proven kits with hundreds of very satisfied customers out there swearing by them both. Don't hear too many guys raving about their heel clicker kits. Costs are less for the other two kits as well I think, especially with their summer discount prices. Also these are complete kits for both primary and secondary clutches. With the heel clicker, you still need parts to upgrade your secondary.

Here's the links for their sites.

http://www.cudneyracing.com/Clutching.html

http://www.mxzx-revzone.com/kits.htm

Good luck.

Jeff

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i gotta wait for next year for the kit.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i gotta wait for next year for the kit.[/b]
They have their fall tent sale coming up followed by their Sled Show prices at their retail stores sale again.

Jeff

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i need to think on what i really need first

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Stay the hell away from anything Super Dorker sells...trust me...
what do you want to accomplish?...you can just order a set of adjustable pins and change springs if you want...just avoid Heelclickers...

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
Stay the hell away from anything Super Dorker sells...trust me...
what do you want to accomplish?...you can just order a set of adjustable pins and change springs if you want...just avoid Heelclickers...[/b]
from my experiance , that is a true statement

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Again, I would recomend staying avay from the HC setup. You have to machine the clutch which effects the balance of the clutch which can chew up the crank bearings of the engine.

If you want a good bang for the buck, it is hard to beat a Goodwin Perf. kit. Springs, adj pins and helix and they have them on sale on their site right now. GP was the first place to market "clutch kits" and if you call them, tell them your sled, mods (studs, track chance, pipes, etc...) your weight, and riding style they will taylor one to fit your needs.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I am with Dave on this. I prefer goodwin parts and kits myself.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Again, I would recomend staying avay from the HC setup. You have to machine the clutch which effects the balance of the clutch which can chew up the crank bearings of the engine.

If you want a good bang for the buck, it is hard to beat a Goodwin Perf. kit. Springs, adj pins and helix and they have them on sale on their site right now. GP was the first place to market "clutch kits" and if you call them, tell them your sled, mods (studs, track chance, pipes, etc...) your weight, and riding style they will taylor one to fit your needs.[/b]
I've been running HEELCLICKERS in my RX-1 for 4 seasons. So far after 5500 miles they have performed flawlessly.
I also have a set of HEELCLICKERS for my 06 CROSSFIRE 700...So far so good...Still tuning thou.
As far as the GOODWIN clutch kit goes...I.M.O. it was extremely OVERPRICED considering NO helix is included in the kit for my crossfire. But, their customer service is SECOND to NONE.

·
Registered
102 Posts
HC if u know what u are doing work great BUT tricky to tune,IMO replace your springs drive/driven and throw a set of adjustable pins and dialer her in, if its the 99/600 look for around 8100rpm on the tach as those years read 100/200rpm on the high side.If u really want a clutch kit there are lots to choose from, IMO contact Cudney,DJ or Goodwin.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I would contact Bill Cudney, call him or E-mail him. Tell him what sled you have & he will build you a kit. I have bought many things from him & they work awesome. Bill is a great guy to deal with. If you are going to the Toronto snow show, ask him if he could bring it to show & you will meet him there. He doesn't charge you for taxes at the show. I have one of his clutch kits in my sled & man it woke it up. I wouldn't think twice of buying another kit for my next sled :D Check out his web site, lots of goodies. www.cudneyracing.com

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I've been running HEELCLICKERS in my RX-1 for 4 seasons. So far after 5500 miles they have performed flawlessly.
I also have a set of HEELCLICKERS for my 06 CROSSFIRE 700...So far so good...Still tuning thou.
As far as the GOODWIN clutch kit goes...I.M.O. it was extremely OVERPRICED considering NO helix is included in the kit for my crossfire. But, their customer service is SECOND to NONE.[/b]
The reason i say this is the mod that is needed on a TRA clutch vs. the mod on a Poo - Cat clutch is much different.

You have to drill and cut huge holes in the sides of the TRA to make clearance for the weights. The other brands require very minimal work to run the HC weights.

A TRA is a fixed ramp design, where as Yam, P-85 and Cat cluches are all swing-weight design. The HC setup for the TRA switches is over to a Swing Weight design, thus elimintating the best holeshot clutch (TRA) available.

One would be much further ahead on a SkiDoo sled to get a good used P-85 Poo clutch and get the taper machined to match their crank.

Allot of blow-up clutches and blown crank bearings with the TRA setups. The only proper way to install them is to have a MACHINE SHOP cut the clutch and have it re-balanced. You are looking at well over $500 for the work, parts, and balancing. All to kill the most effective clutch on the market.

Get a good set of adjustable pins, and you will be just as far ahead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts