Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TRA is adjusted so that each clicker is at the #6 setting. The problem is that the suggested RPM is 8000 and I still cannot reach it. Currently, I get up to 7700-7800 RPM. How can I correct this problem when I cant adjust the TRA any further?

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Sounds like you might have an internal problem in the clutches. When is the last time you cleaned them and inspected all the parts? Is your clutch still stock?

Last edited by Rocketman at Oct 21 2002, 01:04 PM

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My clutches were cleaned and serviced at the end of last season. I have changed the helix from stock 50 to a 53-50. I was assured by the dealership that it would not affect engine RPM. Also, last year I noticed a squeaking noise from the clutch when I let off of the throttle. The problem did not occur immediately after the helix was changed. The noise was not always apparent, only once the machine warmed up. It is a 2001 MXZ 700.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Why not just get a set of weights with the tip shaved to where you want it to run? You can run the same weights you have on now, but with a little taken off the tip it will give you the top RPM you are looking for. I'm not suggesting you go and shave them yourself, but someone that knows how much to take off should be able to get you running perfect. ;)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Good idea phazer hater, and that would be the thing to do, if the sled had flyweights. The Doo TRA is allot different.

Depending on the mileage of the sled, it sounds like the springs are worn out and need replaced

·
Registered
625 Posts
I had a similar problem, the primary clutch spring was weak. check or replace it, the try it out, gave me an extra 500rpm that I was missing.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
springs are cheap and should be changed every year

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by 800MXZ@Oct 21 2002, 03:55 PM
Good idea phazer hater, and that would be the thing to do, if the sled had flyweights. The Doo TRA is allot different.

Depending on the mileage of the sled, it sounds like the springs are worn out and need replaced
Aaah, that's what a cat guy gets for trying to talk about a doo...haha
I'll have to do some reading up on the TRA. It seems strange to not have weights, but that's all I'm used to so... :withstupid:

·
Registered
720 Posts
At first I'd said you wound the cam the wrong way or not enough, but you said it did not occur right away? So I would suspect the raves are not blowing all the way open, time for a cleaning.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Also check the Rave valves to make sure they're not sticking, especially if your not getting your proper revs. with the same clutching you had before.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm with Bill on this one if you don't have enough preload on the secondary it pull the rpms down during shift-out :p

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys. I am going to replace the springs which was my original plan after two full seasons of riding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts