Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tuning my clutch, and am getting tired of these 287 ramps I have. They have the notch at the start position, wich is really interfering with my engagement etc. But, what I really want to know is will the new ramps, ie: 417, be compatable with the older TRA's ie: 280, 287? My dealer only has listing pictures for the newer ramps.
I have 287 and 147 right now. The 147's look way to thick, I haven't tried them, but I might tomorrow. The 287's are fairly good once engaged, but they have a bump at the start of the ramp. That is really screwing with my engagement. I have changed to a little wider belt, and it works great for the rest of my combo, but it's not letting the primary rollers over that "hump" until 25mph or so.
Any help would be great. looking forward to getting consistant below 30MPH performance LOL

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I know the opperation of the Clicker, I am asking about the Acctual Ramp Profiles, and if TRA III ramps are compatable with TRA I and TRA II clutches

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'am not talking about the clickers, the notch in the ramp hold the roller in the notch to raise engagment rpm

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, ya that, my bad. Yes, that's what they are for, but with my personal belt combo, it's wider than a original 521 belt, the clutch squeezes at 4500, like it's supposed to, but not intil the secondary shifts out a little, does the roller acctualy get over the hump.
At 4500, the clutch grabs, starts to move sled.
If you pin it, or any throttle movement, the primary stays in the notch, causing a over rev, and a very "disconnected clutch" feeling. Real Revy like.
Once track speed has gotten to approx 25MPH, the secondary opens up a little, allowing the belt to drop, not that alows the roller in the primary to finally go over the hump, and RPM's drop 1000-1500
Slow below 25MPH, the roller slips back into the notch, and it starts all over again.
I have just been informed though, that the 301 ramp will be good for a mountian sled, which is what I am trying to accomplish. 300 for trails, 301 fro the hills. I'm gona order some today.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
What preload doo you have your secondary set at? You can try lowering it a few lbs and see how it works.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothin to do with the secondary, it's the notch at the base of the ramp. My dealer had some 227 ramps in stock, only one without an engagement notch. To impatient to order 301's LOL I'm trying them. Already, with a 169/320 spring, the engagement is much smoother. Although I think I need to remove some weight from my pins now. I'll ride it tomorrow fro full analysis. My pinky finger's still pretty sore, I Smashed and Gashed it yesterday pullin the clutch LOL.
But, by looking at the wear pattern on my old ramps, the clutch never has been shifting out fully from new

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It has a lot to doo with the secondary preload. The notch in the ramp is for engagment only, once the primary clutch is engaged (the sled moving) the roller is out of the notch. So now what????

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am running alot tighter clutch sheave to belt spacing, with a wider than stock belt, so the rollers are not clear of the notch when the clutch engages. I know Secondary preload has to do with shift, But not at engagement, below 20mph trail speed. The 227 ramps, without the notch should work fine. And I can not change back to stock belt, because the stock belt will not work for me, that's what started this whole search. Maybe next year I will be able to get a TRAIII and I can better make use of the engagement notches, but not right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts