Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a lot about track alignment and how it helps performance. It makes sense to me that if everything is running a little out of alignemnt it would rob you of HP and speed. But exactly how is this done? I know with spacers between the suspention and the tunnel but what are you aligning the track off of? If you just bolted it in its already aligned with the tunnel obviously. The driveshaft seems the obvious choise but how do you get to it with the notoriously out of round drivers on it? Enlighten me here! Thanks,
                                           Ryan

·
Registered
54 Posts
You're aligning it with the rails, making sure the rails run down the middle of the guide clips.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
All we do is put the suspension in, then just make sure you have roughly the same amount of track outside of each of the idlers (usually just use an index finger to check it
)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok that makes more sense. Thanks guys!
           Ryan

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Now after you get the track aligned you should align the front end to the track do this with a long straight edge set along side the track this way you can measure exact skitoe adjustment to run with the aligned track.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Good point! My idea of lining up the front end is with a string[dont like the 2x4 idea never straight]. I get 2 cement blocks, set them down in front of the skis. Now tie a string to one and run the string from front to back and around the back of the track to the front again and tie the end to the other block. Now pull the string tight by sliding the blocks forward. Next slide the blocks in or out so they JUST contact the front edge of the track. Now your ready to align the skis.

Always found this way the quite easy, pretty hard to come up with anything any straighter. Doesn't have to be cement blocks but something good and heavy.

·
Registered
413 Posts
How do you adjust the ski toe though???  Do you add washers or what?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've found that 2 old 8' flourescent light tubes to be very straight...obviously you have to be a little careful with them, but they are straight and long enough...I may give the string/block method a try though, sounds as good or better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts