Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing some prep work I checked over my track clips only to find some of them worn through to the track....local parts store sells what they call a clip remover but told me alot of guys just use a screwdriver and pry them off..starting to go that route until I tried it on the first one and ended up with little pieces of rubber falling on the garage floor
Any idea of a better way of doing this? looks like I have quite a few to do... :angry:

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
i watched a guy use a grinder and did not go all the way through the clips then used a screwdriver to pry them off.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Either use a grinder as Paul suggested or a small cut off saw (mini chop saw) and cut 3/4 of the way through, at that point using a screw driver the clip can be easily broken/removed. Be careful not to overheat/burn the track.
:)
Rick.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If they are worn through, they should be thin enough to bend easy and be pryed off with a screwdriver SWRules

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I thought the same thing first time I helped someone replace a few on their track. Once you have a cut line from the saw/grinder they seem to bend and break fairly easily. I prefer the saw over a grinder as it makes less heat due to the thiner cut.
:)
Rick.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Dremel tool works great for cutting them.

But how are you guys getting the new ones back on?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
2 years ago, I started to echange the track clips on our 98 XC600 since it had lost some track clips. What I had found is that some came off easy, while others came off hard. I looked into why this was like this, since common sense tells me they should all wear about the same.

What I found is that some clips were as thin as .035" while some were .060". I was measuring where they don't wear. That is why you can just screwdriver some off and some need cut off.

I use the grinding wheel method, you can see when you are getting close to cutting thru the clip cause it starts to turn blue. Just grind thru the clip thru the length, and pop em off with a screwdriver.

I would recomend when you buy track clips, use the grooved ones every 3rd track window.

Camoplast makes these special clips that help carry lube to the hyfax. You will need 96 clips total (121 Inch track), buy 32 grooved, and 64 regular, and run the grooved every 3rd clip.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Not necessaraly ZRT. Our XC only has 1200 miles on it when it started to loose the track clips. Polaris used junk clips on it. Put the new Camoplast clips on it and have put another 2000 on it since.

For some reason, 97, 98 Polaris's had junk track clips on them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys.....all usefull information....is it just as easy to do this with the track on the sled with the suspension on?? I hate to get a new track at this point as it appears to be in good condition, no rips or torn lugs at all!! Some of the clips have worn small holes in them about the diameter of a pencil eraser right in the middle.... like i said in the initial post, I don't think they are thin enough yet to just pry off with a screwdriver. Anyone use the clip remal tool sold by Dennis Kirk????
Thanks..

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If you are replacing all of the clips, do yourself a favor and take the suspension out at least. Your knuckles will thank you for it.

Unfortunaltely, they don't give them clips away, and they cost anywhere from $1.30 to $2 a piece. You will probably have at least $100 into the clips. You can go to like www.tracksusa.com and buy new track starting at $235 or so.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Just remember, if one is worn thru the rest are soon to follow. Look it it like this; New clip say .060 thick old clip .030 thick, now you have all these little high spots going round and round taking on the extra weight because they are taller than the rest. You will spend the rest of the season replacing the old clips and next year replacing the new one's you installed the year before, never ending!
96 clips @$150.00ea=$144.00, clip installer $50.00, clip remover $50.00, A lot of time and bloody knuckels=$244.00. For $50.00 more you can buy a brand new track if you shop around. Sure, now you have the tools to clip as many tracks as you want but they will change the design or you will never need to clip a track again, you friends will thank you, maybe.
The best thing to always remember is a snowmobile is what it say's, SNOWmobile, the clips will last thousands of miles if you stay on SNOW as much as possible. When you run into crappy conditions, turn around and go somewhere else!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've found that you can reclip a track once in its useful life ....but buy the time this second set wears out the track is pretty well used up...ie fiberglass rods are starting to show through, corners rounded off the lugs etc.

If you can pry up one corner of the old clip to get the point of an air chisel under it, you can knock that clip off with a touch of the trigger! Obviously you have to be very careful not to get the chisel close to the rubber.

"set" the new ones in place in the track windows with a pair of monster channel lock pliers, then put your crimp tool on it, and run it on tight with a good strong air impact wrench, and you won't have any problems.............
its a slow teadious job, having the back of the sled hanging up high, with the suspension out of it makes it a lot easier.......

Good Luck!! DooZ... :( :(

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
arcticzrt600,
my brother in-law has 10,000 miles on his track, it looks like new. a few clips have been replaced, maybe all of them i don't know.

G

·
Originally posted by 800MXZ@Oct 23 2002, 09:02 AM
Not necessaraly ZRT. Our XC only has 1200 miles on it when it started to loose the track clips. Polaris used junk clips on it. Put the new Camoplast clips on it and have put another 2000 on it since.

For some reason, 97, 98 Polaris's had junk track clips on them.
Learn something new everyday. :D SWRules

1 - 16 of 16 Posts