Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking over the EXT special, which has always had a problem with track ratcheting anytime I accelerate abruptly. I've had the track guitar-string tight and it will still ratchet if you try hard enough. It has 4 track drivers on the drive shaft, but I noticed that while the two center drivers are perfectly aligned, the outer drivers are not even close to making full contact with the inner lugs. I'd say that more than half the lug is not being engaged by the driver. It is obvious by the wear pattern on the outer row of inner lugs, which are not damaged (yet) but show slight indentations about 2/5 of the way in. The misalignment is apparently exactly the same on both outer drivers, they are set equally too far apart.

So, long story short, can I fix this? I suppose the driveshaft absolutely has to be removed...and even then, is there any way I can adjust this myself or do I have to take it somewhere...and where would that be? There's nothing real cheap on ebay right now so fixing it myself would be the best option, followed by being patient for a cheap used replacement driveshaft and hoping the alignment is right. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Do you know anyone with access to a press? If I understand what you are needing to do, a press (and some dinking around) should make short work of your problem.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there is part of it, no I don't have access to a press. What kind of shop has the kind of press that would work for this? I can't visualize how this would be done but I assume I can tell the professionals what I want and they can figure out a way to make it happen once I get that shaft out. I can just mark on the shaft where I need the drivers to be moved to. Each outer driver needs to be moved inward almost half an inch. I looked at it again today and the outer drivers are only engaging the lugs about 1/4 of the way. I wonder how this happened? It's the stock configuration...could they get pushed out over time?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Is it possible that you have the wrong track installed on that sled?
Seeing that it's a 1990, I would assume that the track has been replaced at least once.
I'm not up on any Arctic Cat specs, but a .88 lug track is a Skidoo spec.
If it's not an AC spec, maybe that track wasn't made for your sled.

Just a thought.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
a ski-doo track can be run on any sled as long as the drivers match up (eg. 2.52 pitch drivers with 2.52 pitch track). it's possible the drivers have spread apart, it happened to my rev this winter.

anyways, u need a press with a table that has a hole in it. i just pushed the driver shaft through the table and through the drivers. u have to index the drivers in the proper position so start with an outside driver and make sure it's in the right spot, then just line it up with the driver lugs on the inside of the track. this is how i did it and it worked perfect, took about 2 beers. not a super difficult job.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Most any automotive repair, some auto parts supplies (capable of doing U-joint swaps) will have a press. If they aren't too busy, shouldn't cost much to have them take a look at it for you. As you said, if your shaft is marked where you want the drivers set, should only take a minute.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts